RA Flight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are interested in past flight home, I have done 6 trips straight from Sorong to Houston without staying overnight in Jakarta without lost connections, knock on wood. I flew from Sorong to Jakarta in the morning (Garuda / Sriwijaya / Batik). My flight home from Jakarta to Houston via Singapore and Moscow / Manchester with Singapore Airlines were leaving Jakarta around 8pm. So I have plenty of transit time (4-8 hours).

Thanks, this is exactly was I was hoping to get --

How did you kill time in CGK between arrival and departure? I am assuming your intra-island flight did not check your bags through to Houston so you had to collect in CGK. Also assuming that the counter for your long-haul wasn't open until 2-3 hours prior to departure so you could not immediately get into the lounge. But maybe those assumptions are off.

Thanks, this is exactly was I was hoping to get --

How did you kill time in CGK between arrival and departure? I am assuming your intra-island flight did not check your bags through to Houston so you had to collect in CGK. Also assuming that the counter for your long-haul wasn't open until 2-3 hours prior to departure so you could not immediately get into the lounge. But maybe those assumptions are off.

Yes, I dragged my bags (a check-in bag & a carry-on backpack) from Domestic terminal to the International terminal & hang out in a coffee shop outside the international terminal until I was ready to check-in.

Thanks Mike - I was looking for past experience.

If you did this flight did you then get a day room or similar in Jakarta or how did you kill time before your long-haul flight (if you had to kill time)?
There is the Jakarta Airport Hotel by Topotels which is in the Terminal. The other hotels nearby like Accor or FM7 are outside of the terminal.

I have had one flight delayed out of Sorong by 5 plus hours. Missed the connection and thankfully had booked an extra night in Bali so made my international flight - others were not so lucky. Know you were asking about Jakarta but the logistics of travel to connect internationally are similar. Everything works until it doesn’t. With that experience I always book a day in Jakarta or Bali both coming and going. The hassle of missing a flight is just not worth cutting it too close. Local flights in Indo particularly those from remote spots are often late, the later in the day the flight leaves the more likely it will be late.

Yes, I dragged my bags (a check-in bag & a carry-on backpack) from Domestic terminal to the International terminal & hang out in a coffee shop outside the international terminal until I was ready to check-in.

Jakarta has luggage storage at Terminal 2 & 3 at the arrivals area. Also Bali airport has luggage storage at international and domestic terminals right outside. I use them all the time. Great way to kill time between flights. Drop your bags of jump in a Grab/Gojek and run into town to get some food etc.

I've been through Sorong in 2018 and 2019... I really don't trust Indonesian airlines other than Garuda. (Also, Garuda is Sky Team which means check in in Sorong, baggage ends up 4-5 flights later at home without me having to touch it again since I fly Delta!) I might be biased, but Garuda seems to be more on time, and better safety record than the others. The 12:30AM direct flight from CGK-Sorong is my preferred way of arriving, but not sure on the departures since I ended up flying out of Maumere or Ambon.

Great choice on the Mermaid, I was supposed to be with them in April, now have to wait till next October.

. The 12:30AM direct flight from CGK-Sorong is my preferred way of arriving, .

Thanks -- that is what I've decided. I booked the outbound using United Miles -- EVA through Taiwan. Lands in Jakarata at 13:00 so not a horrible layover before the 12:30am flight to Sorong.

I'm still searching for the return leg since I'll also be using miles.

Thanks -- that is what I've decided. I booked the outbound using United Miles -- EVA through Taiwan. Lands in Jakarata at 13:00 so not a horrible layover before the 12:30am flight to Sorong.

12.30am?

12.30am?

Back
Top Bottom