Malpelo, when to go ... ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks @moorish8idol

I have been to Cocos, Galapagos, and the Revillagigedos. I had a trip to Malpelo on the books for June of 2020, it was cancelled due to Covid. It has been rescheduled for July of this year, I really hope we are able to go. This would be my 1st trip out of the country since fall 2019

Has anyone been on SEA WOLF - particularly in recent times. I know her from more than ten years ago and would not recommend her from that experience but times can change. Can anyone give any personal input on the current operation. I see dates on her website but it does not mean she is full. I believe the dates have just been put there as some are not correct but open to hear from anyone who has knowledge of her or who is booked on her.

If anyone can make a last minute trip to Malpelo, we have just had two cancelations aboard the FEROX for a nine night dive trip scheduled for March 20-29 which we are offering a special rate on. Please see Trips & Marketplace on this forum or contact me at dom@diveadvice.com

I also live in Colombia (Bogotá) where do you usually dive? Lately I’ve been going to Cartagena, I’ve had some good dives there lately. Dying to go back to Providencia.

I’m in Medellin, sadly our only local dive spot is el embalse peñol which has low viz and really not much to see, does bogota has any local dive spot? I’ve dove in San Andres and Santa Marta, I had a trip to providencia that was sadly cancelled due to Iota so it’s still in my bucket list. I’m going to Santa Marta from the 12-29 of March to dive (if something good came from COVID is that remote work is much more accepted). I haven’t gone to Cartagena because I’ve heard that you need to stay in Islas del Rosario as it’s the only good spot, how true is that?

Here’s my take of Cartagena. I used to not like it because the guys I went out with there took me to some boring sites in Barú. Real knowledgeable DMs but the sites were boring.

Then I went with Diving Planet and they take you out to Islas del Rosoario. The first time with them I just did a two tank dive with them so I went and came back the same day. The bad thing about that is that my gf doesn’t dive or even snorkel so she gets bored with me going all the way to Islas del Rosario and back. The second time I did a 5 tank dive with them and stayed at a nice place in Isla Grande. Diving Planet is very organized and I enjoy diving with them.

In January I dove with Makarela for 4-5 days and had a blast. One of the guys is a marine biologist and if he feels that you’re experienced enough that he doesn’t have to watch your every move he’ll tKe his spear gun and hunt lion fish. On multiple dives we went below 30M so I wouldn’t take someone less experienced than me ( I have less than 60 dives ). We went to some interesting sites in/around Barú instead of having to go all the way out to Islas del Rosario.

Depending on how the pandemic goes I think I’ll go to San Andrés for Semana Santa.

The only diving I’m aware of near Bogotá is in Boyacá at Lago de Tota. I don’t even like to wear a 3mm wetsuit so I’m not interested in going to Tota where you need a dry suit.

Depending on how the pandemic goes I think I’ll go to San Andrés for Semana Santa.

San Andrés is quite busy during Semana Santa, it adversely affects diving as a there are a lot of inexperienced divers or, even worse, people taking discover scuba “Mini curso” so the boats are packed with them and conversely they take you to shallow dives. I’ve dove with blue life, they have a nice boat and experienced DM. However I’ve not dove with them during busy season, but I think they group people based on skill as they have 2 trips per day.

Just want to update everyone on our upcoming trip to Malpelo on July 9, 2 weeks from tomorrow. It’s still a GO, fingers crossed, knock on wood, despite of recent civil unrest in Cali a few weeks ago, that led to cancellation of June 27 trip.

We have been vaccinated (I got 2 shots of Moderna back in March-April) so, @Dom@DiveAdvice told me that I no longer need a PCR test prior to departure to Cali (thank goodness).

Correct - International travelers who entered Colombia should not present a negative PCR test to enter the country. They only have to do their Check-Mig registration 24 hours before their flight at the following link: migracioncolombia.gov.co.

FYI - if anyone has a group or even half group for Malpelo in 2021, due to a European Group canceling their charter at last moment due to they cannot travel, leaves us with a full charter available for Sep 24-Oct 3, 2021 - prime time and we can put together a great deal. Please contact me at dom@diveadvice.com if any interest.

Just want to update everyone on our upcoming trip to Malpelo on July 9, 2 weeks from tomorrow. It’s still a GO, fingers crossed, knock on wood, despite of recent civil unrest in Cali a few weeks ago, that led to cancellation of June 27 trip.

We have been vaccinated (I got 2 shots of Moderna back in March-April) so, @Dom@DiveAdvice told me that I no longer need a PCR test prior to departure to Cali (thank goodness).

I hope you get to go but I honestly wouldn't hold my breath. Cali is the centre of the resistance in the National Strikes right now and the situation remains very unstable with lots of violence, road blockades, lack of public transport (taxis too fearful to be out, 61 intersections have no working traffic lights) etc....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom