Best snorkeling Florida Keys based on Reef Health?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Florida native, diver since 1970s but haven't visited Keys since the 80s. Strictly snorkeling now- wanna check out any decent living reefs in the Keys, based on what divers say :) Don't wanna fly (or I'd be in Raja Ampat!) so we'll drive from home in Central Florida to Key Largo and beyond. Best fish and corals I saw in over 20+ years in FL was Looe Key- any corals and somewhat fishy" reefs left to visit? Planning to drive down in late April or May 2021. Can't quite squeeze the budget for Dry Tortugas or a liveaboard. Not targeting springs- need a saltwater fix! TIA for your reccos!

The better reefs are in Key largo these days. Looe is still ok for fish, but the reef doesn’t look so hot.

Molasses Reef off of Key Largo is beautiful for scuba and snorkeling.

Marathon. Hands down. Key Largo is hammered, and Looe Key is just as bad. Key West area is ok, but lot of dead reef. Coffin Patch is nice and Sombrero is also nice, especially the "deeper" sections.

Islamorada would be my second choice. Both of those areas, relatively speaking, get a lot less traffic then Key Largo.

Key Largo is hammered,

Molasses is not hammered...I have been doing the Keys since 1967 -- Molasses looks better than most all the reefs.

Molasses is not hammered...I have been doing the Keys since 1967 -- Molasses looks better than most all the reefs.

Me too. And Marathon/Islamorada/Key West Reefs from about 1975. Last time I was on Molasses, summer before covid, it looked bad, to me. And I was diving Marathon in August.

I was dove French, it was completely dead. In all fairness, last time I did a dive on French was in 1976, which I shot pictures of. It was shocking what has happened to French Reef.

French is all but dead...

French is all but dead...

Unfortunately we are witnesses to the devastation of the keys. As bad as the ocean side is, the bay side off Marathon is even worse. The days of searching crystal clear water for lobsters while on the bow of a boat are long gone.

The best reefs are the artificial reefs. The Spiegel Grove, The Dwane and the Bib. Free divers have at it. Lol

That's it, all the coral is dead in the keys so definitely don't come here ;D , but seriously, Looe Key is a standout for seeing sharks and Goliaths and lots of healthy coral, but if you want to see other areas there are many good snorkeling reefs in Key Largo area, in fact that's where the greatest number of shallower reefs are compared to anywhere else in the keys. Have you been to Christ of the Abyss? There's healthy coral, vertical structure, and a statue- it's an iconic bucket list reef. I checked out horseshoe recently, very nice snorkeling reef. Molasses may have some very nice sections but last time I dove the northern edge it wasn't looking too healthy there, but it's a big reef. There are plenty of options, plenty of dive operations, and I'm sure rental boats if you're up for it.
In truth, I'm not seeing the devastation that I keep hearing about. I've been diving in the keys since 1967 and while individual coral heads have certainly been killed by coral tissue loss disease, elk horn and staghorn are immune, and stag horn in particular has recovered from a massive die off thoughout the carribean in the 70s and 80s.
White band disease - Wikipedia
Also the sea urchins have recovered from the die off in the 80s that led to excessive algae growth on the reefs. Diadema antillarum - Wikipedia
The most obvious negative impact I've seen on the reefs is from people touching, standing on, and dropping anchors on coral, and I think we've successfully addressed those issues with education and mooring bouys.
Reports of the reef's death may have been exaggerated...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom