Panama, Costa Rica, or Nicaragua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tarponchik's advice about rental cars is good. I've had many similar experiences in Panama. They've charged me $150 bucks for a tiny door dent that I'm sure was already there. Once I got rear-ended (other driver's fault). The rental car company charged me for the damage, even though I had the police report showing the other person was at fault and had their insurance info. They told me I could contest the charges in traffic court a month after my planned departure. In Latin America, the car rental companies understand that the kind of have you over a barrel.

I've also had similar experiences to @ibj40. We hit a pot hole so hard once that it not only flattened the tire, but also bent the rim! As my Panamanian friends say, make sure that you keep all 4 eyes on the road at all times!

Went to Costa Rica in 2019. Spent 2 weeks, the first being nothing but sightseeing which there is no shortage of. Would go back just for that. The 2nd week we stayed in Jaco on the west, Pacific coast. I only dove 1 day just to say I dove in CR; would have dove more but I couldn't talk my buddy into diving at all. Dove with Herradura Divers as it was the only dive shop close to us - other ops were 2+ hours away.

How was it to dive in Jaco? I was there last year but did not have a chance to go diving. May go back to that area later this year, and may plan to go diving if there are good diving spots.

As my Panamanian friends say, make sure that you keep all 4 eyes on the road at all times!

I once asked a Chilean colleague if she ever considered a driving vacation all the way down through Andes. She looked at me and said: "you're not American, you know this: the road ends at the Mexican border."

I've also had similar experiences to @ibj40. We hit a pot hole so hard once that it not only flattened the tire, but also bent the rim! As my Panamanian friends say, make sure that you keep all 4 eyes on the road at all times!
My first trip to CR we rented a 4×4 and drove on mostly dirt roads..our last trip, the roads were paved so well I wish I was on my motorcycle....its a wonderful country to mosey around

How was it to dive in Jaco?

Not fantastic when we were there which was at the end of the Pacific side rainy season, mid-January. I think the season actually ends in December, but there's runoff from the mountains that affect the diving. I took a taxi to Herradura, just north of Jaco, which was about a 15 minute drive - that was the nearest dive op. The coast of Herradura is in a cove , so somewhat protected. The water was calm, low 80's, but visibility was not great at ~30 feet. I will say that I saw a variety (color and shape) of large starfish. The town of Quepos and Manuel Antonio National Park are both farther south, an hour +, and had some good diving reviews but I didn't feel like taking a taxi that far. If we would have had a rental car, we would probably have gone that direction for the day as the main highway goes all along the coast.

Thanks all for the input. I understood that most popular diving place on Pacific side is Guanacaste. Are there other good diving places easily reachable by car?

Thanks all for the input. I understood that most popular diving place on Pacific side is Guanacaste. Are there other good diving places easily reachable by car?
As far as I know, there is nothing between Guanacaste and Osa, except for the Whale Tail, which is a good point for snorkeling, not for diving. Osa can be reached by car if (1) you go in dry season and (2) if you have a 4WD. Otherwise people fly there in small aircraft but I know nothing about that. There are couple of places to stay there but just one dive shop that serves them all (or at least this was the case back then). Boat ride to Isla del Cano was 45-55 min, but it was worth it.

As far as I know, there is nothing between Guanacaste and Osa, except for the Whale Tail, which is a good point for snorkeling, not for diving. Osa can be reached by car if (1) you go in dry season and (2) if you have a 4WD. Otherwise people fly there in small aircraft but I know nothing about that. There are couple of places to stay there but just one dive shop that serves them all (or at least this was the case back then). Boat ride to Isla del Cano was 45-55 min, but it was worth it.

This does not sound as many options, so, I will research more and make the road map. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom