Long term storage regulator cap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

0ctoman

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone store regulators with the purge cap depressed? My understanding is that it's to avoid to put constant pressure on the seat when it's stored for a few months. I've seen some older regulators even have their own plastic adapter that sits on the purge cover to keep it pushed while on storage but I haven't seen these accessories at any of my local shops.

Here is a video showing Alec Peirce talking about such device at 06:20. For now I am using the cap and rubbers but would like to find something more appropriate.

@0ctoman How about a make & model of regulator you are long term storing? Using a purge depressor for long term storage is a good idea and I'm sure we can help you come up with something. Personally, I remove the hose, and while holding the purge button depressed I back off the orifice 1/2-1 full turn. But you may be able to use a simpler method depending on the make/model.

Some regulators (Atomics) have an automatic "seat saver" device. Others, like the G250V have a feature built into the purge button that only require a simple twist.

More info please.

@couv I have a Sherwood SR1 and an Aqualung Titan LX. Was thinking cutting a plastic wedge from Home Depot to insert it at an angle, not sure yet.

Hi @0ctoman,

I'm not familiar with either of those. How about some pictures?

Whatever device you come up with-you want to push the purge evenly so as not to distort the roundness of the diaphragm. Some people tape/rubber-band coins over the purge button.

The Sherwood SR 2nd stages have a floating orifice so a purge button wedge is probably not necessary. The Titan LX purge button can become fragile and brittle with age, I'm not sure I would recommend pushing down on it very much for an extended period of time.

Back
Top Bottom