Scubapro Seawing Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeXx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As the title says, What do you guys think about those fins?
Even for tech diving, i always see the jetfins type everywhere... Why?
From what i read the seawing's are very slightly positive.

Any feedback from rec/tec divers that used them?

Cheers

As the title says, What do you guys think about those fins?
Even for tech diving, i always see the jetfins type everywhere... Why?
From what i read the seawing's are very slightly positive.

Any feedback from rec/tec divers that used them?

Cheers
Just a rec diver but my take on these is, they have decent power for fairly easy effort but they have crappy feel. For instance, many times I feel like I have kicked something and turn to see if I have gotten too close to the reef or someone is behind me and there’s nothing there. What happens is the snap back of the fins seems like they hit something. For benign diving I much prefer my Scubapro Go Sports.

Just a rec diver but my take on these is, they have decent power for fairly easy effort but they have crappy feel. For instance, many times I feel like I have kicked something and turn to see if I have gotten too close to the reef or someone is behind me and there’s nothing there. What happens is the snap back of the fins seems like they hit something. For benign diving I much prefer my Scubapro Go Sports.
you talking about the seawing or jetfins?

you talking about the seawing or jetfins?
I bet he is talking about the Nova’s, which are pretty good all around fins but very different feel, you need to develop a kick that works well with them, long stroke flutter type of kick works well, the do ok with a frog kick but nowhere near optimal.

Jets are much better with a frog kick and not bad with a scissor/flutter kick when you need power. If you want a more positive buoyant fin deep 6 eddys or SP Go-sport are great.

I find my Nova Gorillas, a stiffer version of the Seawing Nova, have a pretty good feel for where the blade is. Much better than my previous Mares Avanti Quatros, but not quite as good as my Scubapro Go’s that I use for warm water.

The Nova Gorillas are quite easy to frog kick or back kick with.

I have a pair of Nova Seawings and I can't get on with them. They are slightly boyant which throws my trim out to the point that I don't have any more weight to move down. I have resorted to loosening the BCD straps and letting all the kit drop down. Either that or using ankle weights. I use Hollis F1 fins which are nice and heavy. One of my buddies Nova Seawings and loves them. Everyone likes different kit.

I love mine and yes they are a bit positively buoyant. I can drop kick with them and I find them to be very efficient. The first generation had a design flaw which made them break at the joint but they fixed that.

nice all-rounder
dived with the seawing nova for about 150 dives

then I moved to a Hollis F1-LT
better at frog kicks and reverse finning

the seawing nova had too much flex for efficient frog kicking

I have the Seawing Nova Gorilla and really like them. But fins are like religion... not a topic you bring up in a bar full of divers. The gorillas are stiffer and I like that but they're very light and slightly boyant. If you want weight around your feet or diving a dry suit, then they may not work for you.

Maybe it's just the divers in my area, but it seems I always see people in novas kicking up the bottom without ever realizing it... Anyone else seen that a lot with these?

Back
Top Bottom