Personal Limits to Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far it’s 160ffw on mix, with 20 minutes of deco. But 80-100fsw, 20’ vis, no deco dives have been typical for many years. Self reliant, same ocean type dives.

I bet sidemount made an enormous difference for you. Redundancy, check/tick. Swapping regs, check/tick. Handling gas releases, check/tick! Not to mention looking good and flat in the water and all the other sidemount benefits.

If I have to dive solo on open circuit, it's always sidemount.
I did it because of back issues and have become comfortable with it; definitely a very good platform for solo with gas management already ingrained and entanglement on the back is reduced. Also I have front thigh pockets on my dry suit which makes retrieving my back up mask or my DSMB etc much easier.

Wait. You will dive solo to 180 feet on air?
Yes, probably several hundred times. I used to go deeper but the risk/ reward and deco time are less attractive. Several thousand dives deeper than 130' on air or lean nitrox.

Although I have solo dived to 57m they are generally very shallow 10m or less. Would say why, but given the past year I am not sure that I remember what diving is!

I have about 36 total dives, about 30 solo-dives, 4 training dives, and 2 pair dives. Without a redundant air-source, I initially stayed around 30ft, but these days frequently dive 60ft. I've been deeper solo (~110ft) but try to avoid it. I'm currently working on a redundant-air setup, after which I'll be okay with 100ft to 130ft dives solo.

My "dive buddy" who takes off and solo-dives, and has far more experience, will regularly do 100 to 130ft dives solo, without redundant air.

Having been blown off a Reef by a freak current that held me for a quarter mile or so, I'd probably pass on a solo dive in strong current unless it was a liveaboard where someone was expecting me back or watching my bubbles or smb. Like many of us, I feel more comfortable diving solo than I do with a buddy because then I don't have to worry about anyone else and can truly enjoy the dive. Depth to minimum deco is fine, I dive limited vis to pitch black at home so That's not an issue. No serious penetration or caves. Probably pass on entanglement risks as well.

I think most of us were drawn to solo to eliminate the responsibility of a buddy. I love diving with my wife....I just love diving alone more.

Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom