Panama, Costa Rica, or Nicaragua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving in Little Corn island is decent, somewhat typical Carribbean diving. The island itself is very nice, no cars, people are very friendly. It was almost ten years ago that I was there, so the details are bit fuzzy. I remember a walk across the island through thick forest to get to Derek's place on the north tip. I might consider staying there if I went back. We also dove with someone in town, it was fine until their compressor broke. They helped us find another place to dive, so positive experience over all. I'm not sure of the name of place we stayed, but it was on the windward side of the island. It might have been the "little corn beach and bungalow". There was a constant wind, so much we didn't miss air conditioning. The attached picture is of the beach in front of the hotel.
EDIT: I should mention that it was not easy to get there. We happened to be in Managua anyway, so it only took a day of travel (small plane to Big Corn island, then substantial speed
boat ride (1 hour?)
View attachment 642219

Thanks!

I don't have any experience diving Costa Rica or Nicaragua, but I dive regularly on the Caribbean side of Panama. If you let us know a little more about what you're looking for it might be helpful. Specifically, what type of diving/lodging/food/topside activities are you interested in?

Thanks Ryan. About diving: clear water, reefs, pelagic life would be great. If not, plenty of fish would do. Wall diving also. Wrecks might be considered. I would prefer to cover both Caribbean an Atlantic sides but this is not the must, Caribbean is fine as long as I can have two separate locations for diversity. About lodging: ocean-side accommodation, a small hotel with a dive shop on premises would be nice. No posh all- included resorts with high tags. Food: local, seafood and spicy preferred. Met/ steak once in while. Topside: social live - bars, music, local folks to meet - as possible during Covid restrictions. Likely must visit the Panama Canal.
Hope this helps.

We’ve been to Costa Rica twice, both times to the Guanacaste region.

On each visit, in addition to some local dives, we took dive trips to the Bat Islands.

The high lights are the Big Scare, where the draw is the potential for Bull Sharks. First time we went we saw a pregnant adult, and five or six juvenile/adolescents, all pretty close in. Second time, some thought they saw one in the distance.

The other draw of the Bats is Black Rock which is a solitary pinnacle. The dive profile is to drop down to 130 or so (some on our second trip didn’t go that deep), and then you spiral around the rock, moving shallower as you go. It is surrounded by huge schools of fish, along with the critters that stay closer to the rock. It has to be one of the most incredible experiences.

We’ve been hit or miss at the Catalinas, saw a huge Manta Ray on the first dive, not so lucky in the second.

Local diving is also very good. White Tip Sharks, Moray Eels (sometimes two or more laying on each other), Puffers, Sea Stars, and lots more. Our favorite was Monkey Head (and an un-named second dive that we deemed Next to Monkey Head).

Can’t help you on Panama or Nicaragua, nor the East side of Costa Rica (which we understand is forgettable), but returning to Guanacaste is on our list.

Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds as something to seriously consider. I am not a big fan of Bulls, seen these in Florida close enough for their behavior but the rest sounds good. I plan to cover two separate areas for diversity. Can you add something on social live in these places? I understand that with the current restrictions that maybe no flourishing activities such as bars with locals and music, but there still might be some life. Thanks again.

Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds as something to seriously consider. I am not a big fan of Bulls, seen these in Florida close enough for their behavior but the rest sounds good. I plan to cover two separate areas for diversity. Can you add something on social live in these places? I understand that with the current restrictions that maybe no flourishing activities such as bars with locals and music, but there still might be some life. Thanks again.

Have to admit, both trips we stayed at the same all-inclusive (first trip it was the Fiesta Premier, second time it was a Hilton, currently it appears to be a Secrets).

When we went in 2005, they had a great on-site dive op, dove four days (and a couple of times we were the only two divers - such as our trip to the Bats). While we were there, we went off-site twice, once to do a zip-line tour, the other to go to Granada, Nicaragua. We then left the resort and went up to the Arenal volcano region.

When we went in 2014, even though the boats of the on-site were still moored off-shore, it had closed down and we dove with Rocket Frog in Playa Cocos. While we didn't do anything in Playa Cocos, we did drive through it, and picked up some other divers who were staying there. Playa Cocos appeared to have a variety of restaurants, clubs, and shops, and I want to say that the folks that were staying in the town were very positive about it.

@Haiawata, that's helpful! Where I dive in Portobelo, up on the Caribbean coast, it sounds like it will check some, but not all your boxes. In the wet season (June-Dec), the visibility can be quite variable. Good days are 70'+, bad days are around 5-10'. It just depends on how much rain has fallen the past day or two. I always dive the wet season and would say we average 40'. The dry season (Jan-June) has consistently better visibility due to the lack of rain.

The reefs will not be as good as you've seen in Cozumel or other places in the Caribbean. The reefs are a bit degraded and have less coral cover than other places in the Caribbean. But, there is quite a bit of life and I've often been surprised by the occasional school of permit, nurse shark, or huge snapper that swims by. There are constantly lots of small critters as well. There's also a lot of topography. A number of dive sites are mini walls and you can see some cool geology, where it's clear that the cuts in the reef, dropping off the wall, are old river channels that were once above sea-level.

On the plus side, I cannot recommend enough diving with Golden Frog Scuba. The owner (Rey) runs a tiny six pack boat, and guides every dive. He'll stay with you and point out things, or alternatively, give you your space and just let you kind of follow along and do your own thing at your pace. Sometimes we have other folks on the boat, but commonly it's just my buddy and I diving alone with Rey. The lack of a crowd is pure joy!

Topside, Golden Frog Scuba operates out of a little boutique hotel in Portobelo. It's a tiny little place on the side of the road, but they have a great little restaurant on the premises and great views of the water. They make an amazing seafood curry! Just down the road is a great restaurant/bar, El Castillo, also on the water. The town of Portobelo is small, but there is a lot of history (old forts) and some great local Panaderias.

It's off the beaten path, to be sure, but I've been doing it for several years now and I love the experience. If it's something you decide to do, Rey can help arrange logistics. Likewise, I can make suggestions for a driver from Panama City (feel free to PM me).

@Haiawata, that's helpful! Where I dive in Portobelo, up on the Caribbean coast, it sounds like it will check some, but not all your boxes. In the wet season (June-Dec), the visibility can be quite variable. Good days are 70'+, bad days are around 5-10'. It just depends on how much rain has fallen the past day or two. I always dive the wet season and would say we average 40'. The dry season (Jan-June) has consistently better visibility due to the lack of rain.

The reefs will not be as good as you've seen in Cozumel or other places in the Caribbean. The reefs are a bit degraded and have less coral cover than other places in the Caribbean. But, there is quite a bit of life and I've often been surprised by the occasional school of permit, nurse shark, or huge snapper that swims by. There are constantly lots of small critters as well. There's also a lot of topography. A number of dive sites are mini walls and you can see some cool geology, where it's clear that the cuts in the reef, dropping off the wall, are old river channels that were once above sea-level.

On the plus side, I cannot recommend enough diving with Golden Frog Scuba. The owner (Rey) runs a tiny six pack boat, and guides every dive. He'll stay with you and point out things, or alternatively, give you your space and just let you kind of follow along and do your own thing at your pace. Sometimes we have other folks on the boat, but commonly it's just my buddy and I diving alone with Rey. The lack of a crowd is pure joy!

Topside, Golden Frog Scuba operates out of a little boutique hotel in Portobelo. It's a tiny little place on the side of the road, but they have a great little restaurant on the premises and great views of the water. They make an amazing seafood curry! Just down the road is a great restaurant/bar, El Castillo, also on the water. The town of Portobelo is small, but there is a lot of history (old forts) and some great local Panaderias.

It's off the beaten path, to be sure, but I've been doing it for several years now and I love the experience. If it's something you decide to do, Rey can help arrange logistics. Likewise, I can make suggestions for a driver from Panama City (feel free to PM me).

Thank you Ryan!

+1 for Rocket Frogs. Playa Cocos has accommodations, a couple of supermarkets, and more dive shops, but we've only been to it once or twice for the shopping, so... We stayed in the next playa over (Ocotal) -- no life there. :D Rocket Frogs shop was there at the time (google maps places it in Playa Cocos now).

I'll second on Cats and Bats being hit or miss, local dives in Parrot Bay are fine. You'll see schools of fish, rays, octopuses, etc., but they are not reefs. Also not as warm as the Caribbean, and the vis may vary.

+1 for Rocket Frogs. Playa Cocos has accommodations, a couple of supermarkets, and more dive shops, but we've only been to it once or twice for the shopping, so... We stayed in the next playa over (Ocotal) -- no life there. :D Rocket Frogs shop was there at the time (google maps places it in Playa Cocos now).

I'll second on Cats and Bats being hit or miss, local dives in Parrot Bay are fine. You'll see schools of fish, rays, octopuses, etc., but they are not reefs. Also not as warm as the Caribbean, and the vis may vary.
Thanks! More info the better.

I am kind of leaning towards Costa Rica this time. Fellows, any additional info on dive operations, accommodations, transportation, topside life; literally everything you want to share about the place and people.

The best diving for us in Costa Rica was at Isla del Cano, but it is tricky getting there. As for Guanacaste, I reflected my experience here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom