Panama, Costa Rica, or Nicaragua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haiawata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Good time of the day, fellows.

I am planing a dive trip in these Covid-restriction times. All in all, I am considering Panama, Costa Rica, and Nicaragua. I have never been to these countries. I will appreciate any diving, accommodation, restrictions, etc info from fellows that have been there recently. All pros and contras.

My usual diving is South Eastern Asia, and preferred destination is Philippines. I am not a big fan of Cozumel and Dominican Republic. Maybe this helps to make your advice.

Thanks in advance, and safe bubbles.

My only tropical dive trip was in 2011 to Portobelo, Panama with Panama Divers. It seems it has gone a little more upscale since, according to a search. It was a good time. You will have to pay for shore dives with a DM (I wasn't told this ahead of time and did not pay). Things no doubt have changed. The Octopus Motel was rustic then.

Choose a side...Caribbean or Pacific...each offers a very different experience. My avatar is from Flamingo CR...larger fish on the Pacifica side.. Panama was fun to visit..dove Contradora..nothing special to see there, but the canal and city was fun time.

Little Corn Island is on my hit list in Nicaragua...I'd seriously look into there...

Choose a side...Caribbean or Pacific...each offers a very different experience. My avatar is from Flamingo CR...larger fish on the Pacifica side.. Panama was fun to visit..dove Contradora..nothing special to see there, but the canal and city was fun time.

Little Corn Island is on my hit list in Nicaragua...I'd seriously look into there...

Thanks!

Went to Costa Rica in 2019. Spent 2 weeks, the first being nothing but sightseeing which there is no shortage of. Would go back just for that. The 2nd week we stayed in Jaco on the west, Pacific coast. I only dove 1 day just to say I dove in CR; would have dove more but I couldn't talk my buddy into diving at all. Dove with Herradura Divers as it was the only dive shop close to us - other ops were 2+ hours away.

Almost everything I read as I researched the diving was that the east, Caribbean side has the better diving overall but there are some good locations on the Pacific side. One thing to be aware of on the west side is when it is rainy season - some dive shops are closed and the water can be cloudy due to runoff from the higher elevations.

Hope you get some good suggestions from those who have experienced both sides.

Went to Costa Rica in 2019. Spent 2 weeks, the first being nothing but sightseeing which there is no shortage of. Would go back just for that. The 2nd week we stayed in Jaco on the west, Pacific coast. I only dove 1 day just to say I dove in CR; would have dove more but I couldn't talk my buddy into diving at all. Dove with Herradura Divers as it was the only dive shop close to us - other ops were 2+ hours away.

Almost everything I read as I researched the diving was that the east, Caribbean side has the better diving overall but there are some good locations on the Pacific side. One thing to be aware of on the west side is when it is rainy season - some dive shops are closed and the water can be cloudy due to runoff from the higher elevations.

Hope you get some good suggestions from those who have experienced both sides.
Thanks, I will look into both sides. If I go there, will dive both and compare.

My only tropical dive trip was in 2011 to Portobelo, Panama with Panama Divers. It seems it has gone a little more upscale since, according to a search. It was a good time. You will have to pay for shore dives with a DM (I wasn't told this ahead of time and did not pay). Thanks no doubt have changed. The Octopus Motel was rustic then.
Thanks!

Diving in Little Corn island is decent, somewhat typical Carribbean diving. The island itself is very nice, no cars, people are very friendly. It was almost ten years ago that I was there, so the details are bit fuzzy. I remember a walk across the island through thick forest to get to Derek's place on the north tip. I might consider staying there if I went back. We also dove with someone in town, it was fine until their compressor broke. They helped us find another place to dive, so positive experience over all. I'm not sure of the name of place we stayed, but it was on the windward side of the island. It might have been the "little corn beach and bungalow". There was a constant wind, so much we didn't miss air conditioning. The attached picture is of the beach in front of the hotel.
EDIT: I should mention that it was not easy to get there. We happened to be in Managua anyway, so it only took a day of travel (small plane to Big Corn island, then substantial speed
boat ride (1 hour?)
20120722_0055.jpg

I don't have any experience diving Costa Rica or Nicaragua, but I dive regularly on the Caribbean side of Panama. If you let us know a little more about what you're looking for it might be helpful. Specifically, what type of diving/lodging/food/topside activities are you interested in?

We’ve been to Costa Rica twice, both times to the Guanacaste region.

On each visit, in addition to some local dives, we took dive trips to the Bat Islands.

The high lights are the Big Scare, where the draw is the potential for Bull Sharks. First time we went we saw a pregnant adult, and five or six juvenile/adolescents, all pretty close in. Second time, some thought they saw one in the distance.

The other draw of the Bats is Black Rock which is a solitary pinnacle. The dive profile is to drop down to 130 or so (some on our second trip didn’t go that deep), and then you spiral around the rock, moving shallower as you go. It is surrounded by huge schools of fish, along with the critters that stay closer to the rock. It has to be one of the most incredible experiences.

We’ve been hit or miss at the Catalinas, saw a huge Manta Ray on the first dive, not so lucky in the second.

Local diving is also very good. White Tip Sharks, Moray Eels (sometimes two or more laying on each other), Puffers, Sea Stars, and lots more. Our favorite was Monkey Head (and an un-named second dive that we deemed Next to Monkey Head).

Can’t help you on Panama or Nicaragua, nor the East side of Costa Rica (which we understand is forgettable), but returning to Guanacaste is on our list.

Back
Top Bottom