WHERE'S THE FIRE???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I've been with 3 separate dive shops in Puerto Vallarta, 4 separate shops in Cozumel, two in Playa del Carmen...

9 different dive shops for 25 dives...man that kind of thrash makes me tired. :surrender: Nothing wrong with doing a "one off" dive while traveling, but it's going to take a long time to gain the experience to slow things down at that rate. If you're really serious about "putting out the fire," schedule a dive trip somewhere you can dive with the same op for a week so you can get to know them and they you a bit. You'll settle into a routine and it will be a completely different experience. Once you gain some experience and set your routine then "one off" diving gets a lot easier as well. Good luck. :)

9 different dive shops for 25 dives
Good catch. OP were you diving off cruise ships? (The horror, the horror.)

If so, that sort of operation is going to be tough to be avoid since the op has to deal with a large variation in skill sets and a tight schedule.

Ok... I get the picture... Shut up and jump in... LoL... Thanks all, for the wonderful dialogue.

I'll let myself out. :happywave:

Not sure how you came to that conclusion from the replies.
As someone else mentioned, you've done very few dives with a lot of different dive ops.
Maybe you should try doing a lot of dives with very few dive ops instead?
You'll get to know the people running the ops and you'll get to know the people who usually go out with them.
If you go out on a random boat once or twice you're probably not gonna have the best of times (like you've described).

I have been on boats like that myself, it seems to be pretty common in areas where there are a lot of tourists and everybody competes on price.
Not all boats are like this.
This is how we work;
  • Meeting time 08.30 to 09.00, boat leaves at 09.30 latest.
  • As you get on the boat if you are using our gear it is allocated to you (already built) with a reminder that you need to check it. If you have your own gear then you are shown to your 2 tanks and left to assemble your gear (we will do this for you if you wish).
    Weight requirements are sorted out during this period (Now is the time to tell us you want to do a weight check).
  • Basic boat briefing given before we leave the dock, this includes the running time to the dive site so you know how long you have to put on your wetsuit.
  • Dive site briefing is given when we arrive at the dive site, then we ask everybody to get themselves into their gear, with a reminder to check it if they have not already done so.
  • Divers go off on both sides of the boat, buddy pairs go consecutively and they are encouraged to descend as soon as they are ready, meeting point is at the bottom of the descent line / anchor line. Weight checks go last, one of the staff will be with them.
  • Maximum bottom time 60 minutes so dive ends for buddy pairs at different times, no crowd of divers floating on the surface to get onto the boat.
  • Surface interval is 60 minutes, boat moves slowly to next dive site as there is plenty of time.
  • We will switch tanks as quickly as possible because we love the surface interval conversations with our guests.
  • You will not get an empty tank because we turn them on to double check after switching.
  • 2nd dive, maximum bottom time 60 minutes.
  • We make good time back, but we do not "race". Arrive back between 13.00 and 13.30
We work quickly and efficiently, but we give every diver the time to sort themselves out and yes, we do run to a schedule but still offer a relaxing 2 tank dive.

When you say "No safety checks" and "No weight checks" can I remind you that these are your responsibility, not the dive operators.

I do hope you find a better operator on your next dive trip.

I am new to diving from a boat, did it for the first time in Key Largo in October and now have 35 boat dives with the same dive operation.

Now I'm the first one in the water as soon as the captain says "the pool is open" and can't understand why others are not ready to dive when the tag line goes out. You came to dive, why are you still on the boat? Let's go diving people.

Most of the boats in SE FL give a 10 min warning. That means being completely ready to dive after that time. This makes it very easy for everyone to be ready at the dive time. It is not at all unusual that a few people are unable to abide by these rules. The rest of us wait

Most of the boats in SE FL give a 10 min warning. That means being completely ready to dive after that time. This makes it very easy for everyone to be ready at the dive time. It is not at all unusual that a few people are unable to abide by these rules. The rest of us wait
It's been a while since I boat dived (5 yrs.). I can't recall what the norm was regarding starting the dive, but wonder why a buddy pair that's ready would have to wait for others?

It's been a while since I boat dived (5 yrs.). I can't recall what the norm was regarding starting the dive, but wonder why a buddy pair that's ready would have to wait for others?
Sorry, most to the diving in SE FL is drift diving. It keeps the groups relatively close for pickup. Of course , this is not always true when some groups are on the outside of the reef, and some on the inside.

Most or probably all of the boats have gps, with the coordinates of where they are going locked in, especially a wreck dive and it gives a live eta, just go have a look and you can take 15min if you want.

Good catch. OP were you diving off cruise ships? (The horror, the horror.)

If so, that sort of operation is going to be tough to be avoid since the op has to deal with a large variation in skill sets and a tight schedule.

My first couple dive trips were on a cruise ships. I learned my lesson quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom