Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Headed down tomorrow. What are the current water temps at depth?
I hope you both do better than you did in November, looks much more promising. I look forward to hearing all about it.

I'm hoping to get back down in March, get my 2nd Moderna vaccine on Feb 16:) Have not been down since Sept:(

I had a great outing on Saturday 2/6. Light south wind, waves 1'-3', water temp 73, 60-70 feet of viz. Lots of Lemon Shark activity. That was the Lemon Shark experience I've been waiting for. Maybe 12-15 lemons hung with the group for most of the drift at Lemon Drop, making several close passes. That was a top 10 dive for me. The second dive on Tunnels was almost equally as enjoyable. Several CRS sightings, another Lemon in the Amphitheater, a big Nurse, a Logger Head, and two resident Goliaths. A great day of diving off Jupiter.

IMG-3458.jpg

I had a great outing on Saturday 2/6. Light south wind, waves 1'-3', water temp 73, 60-70 feet of viz. Lots of Lemon Shark activity. That was the Lemon Shark experience I've been waiting for. Maybe 12-15 lemons hung with the group for most of the drift at Lemon Drop, making several close passes. That was a top 10 dive for me. The second dive on Tunnels was almost equally as enjoyable. Several CRS sightings, another Lemon in the Amphitheater, a big Nurse, a Logger Head, and two resident Goliaths. A great day of diving off Jupiter.

View attachment 640967

Nice! I love Tunnels. In the right conditions it is a fantastic dive.

@CosbySweater I am jealous what a great picture!
Uggh we are moving out of our VRBO into our long term rental house over the next 2 or 3 weekends so my chances of getting wet are pretty slim until after we get settled. I am having the DTs it has been 3 weeks already.

View attachment 640967
Sounds like a great dive!!!
I wasn't as lucky this year with the lemons, I think it may have been too early in the season.

Sounds like a great dive!!!
I wasn't as lucky this year with the lemons, I think it may have been too early in the season.

I think there are several variables that go in to that. Time of year is def one of them. I started seeing them on the reef in November, so they've definitely been around for a bit. Another thing to consider is when they had their last free meal from the shark feed boats. Whether we like it not, many of these animals have been conditioned to associate divers with a free meal. A full shark isn't going to be as interested in seeing (or hearing) you. Also, unless you're part of a shark feed, a shark that's being fed somewhere else is a shark that's not where you are. I think the shark feeding boats play a role in how much interaction the non-feeding boats experience.

On the flip side, I'd be curious to observe what would happen if the feeding boats stopped feeding. Would the Lemon's still hang around in the same number and give the non-feeding boats the same experience? For the record I'm against feeding sharks (and any other wild animal for that matter). While I think shark feeds do have some positive impact on divers perception of sharks, I don't think it's an ethical practice overall. An unprovoked experience in the wild is much more satisfying, IMO.

I think there are several variables that go in to that. Time of year is def one of them. I started seeing them on the reef in November, so they've definitely been around for a bit. Another thing to consider is when they had their last free meal from the shark feed boats. Whether we like it not, many of these animals have been conditioned to associate divers with a free meal. A full shark isn't going to be as interested in seeing (or hearing) you. Also, unless you're part of a shark feed, a shark that's being fed somewhere else is a shark that's not where you are. I think the shark feeding boats play a role in how much interaction the non-feeding boats experience.

On the flip side, I'd be curious to observe what would happen if the feeding boats stopped feeding. Would the Lemon's still hang around in the same number and give the non-feeding boats the same experience? For the record I'm against feeding sharks (and any other wild animal for that matter). While I think shark feeds do have some positive impact on divers perception of sharks, I don't think it's an ethical practice overall. An unprovoked experience in the wild is much more satisfying, IMO.

I agree with you 100%.

So many things wrong with the practice IMO but I'm just one voice. I choose to vote with my dollars and I will never knowingly spend a dime with any of the operators that engage in shark feeding. Unfortunately the practice will not stop until it is outlawed for any boat leaving from or returning to state waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom