My first incident...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christozs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Before i explain the incident, i will share some of my background.

I got my PADI OW and AOW 2 years ago in blue waters. I started diving in green waters on summer 2020 and got a drysuit that i am learning on my own how to handle the air bubble. The depth here is on average 4-5m and the maximun i have been is 11m, so it is perfect for improving boyancy and testing gear as there is not much to see and it is not deep. On Saturday i did my 42nd dive.

The temperature is -5C and the water temperature is 0-1C. We are 3 divers. Diver 1 is an instructor for years and always our guide in the different divesites we go, he is diving in twins. Diver 2 is also an AOW with a bit more dives than me, diving with 15L tank. He is a bit incompetent in my opinion as he is still swimming with his hands, shoots up out of nowhere, constantly overweighted and easy to lose.
We start gearing up and once we are ready, i do the buddy check on Diver 2. His inflator hose is not connected to the BCD and his reply is "I don't need it, it is leaking air so that's why i have been shooting up. I am better without it". I let it go until we get our feet in the water and then i ask him again. He finally connects it and we start the dive.
The dive plan is 30-35 minutes dive. Go under the bridge and then turn as the current was going out and it could be dangerous if it was strong. We agreed that when we see the bridge, Diver 1 will go up to check and come down again.
It is freezing cold and after 8 minutes i realize my right dry glove has a small leak. I am ready to signal that i will go out when Diver 1 hands me the buoy line and goes up to check. Diver 2 has his primary reg free flowing but is calm enough to switch to his octo and try to fix it. He cannot so he signals me to go up the moment that Diver 1 lands on my head. I signal him that it is time to go up and i am ready to suggest that we go back as my hands are starting to feel really cold. Diver 2 has already surfaced and i follow him. He fixes his reg and i am looking at Diver 1 coming up slowly while gathering the line of the buoy.
He surfaces between us and while i am ready to inform them about my leak there is a big BOOM. His twins disappear, there is an air freeflowing from the back and he starts yelling something in Danish. I am the only non-Danish there so i ask for translation while i am looking in the water. The wing is on his back, the metal slate is hanging and next to it are the doubles. I get behind him while i get no translation and lift the doubles so that he doesn't go down and he is smart enough to hold the buoy. Diver 2 is just smiling. There comes the first problem, i never "played" with doubles so i didn't know how to switch them off. I switch one off, the same way i would do with my single but the other is not moving and i am afraid of breaking it. 20 seconds later is already empty so the freeflow stops.
I am holding the doubles with my frozen right hand and try to inflate my BCD to the max so that it keeps me up. Once i have done this i take his long hose away from his neck in order not to strangle him if the doubles fall and i am trying to give him my octo. It is hard to get it out so i pull it as hard as i can and it finally breaks free. I give him some time to relax (he is much calmer after the freeflow stopped) and then he is trying to get his BCD off. We get one hand out but then the other gets stuck under his compass and it is really hard to get it out. This is another problem as my trilobite is in my bag in the car.
I quickly decid to ask him to fin and start heading for the shore which is about 20m to the side. The current had already moved us under the bridge and i didn't want to risk getting into a stronger one. I am holding his twins and we are finning but my arm is really struggling more and more. Luckily i felt the doubles touching the bottom and we were safe.

A lot to learn from it.
1) I need the rescue diver in order to make better decisions. I had already booked it for next summer
2) Always bring your knife (already attached it after the dive). I have been lazy thinking that i have to take care of it after the dive for the rust. Diver 1 was pretty happy that i didn't have one though, since he didn't lose his gear.
3) Never accept to dive with divers that already have problems with their gear.

It is a bit hard to stop thinking about what i could have done. For example:
I could have moved to his right side so that he had more of my octo hose length.
I could switch to a primary donation hose setup and make it easier in these situations.
What if i didn't have weight pockets and i had a belt instead? I would have easily taken it out and lose it but feel 6kg lighter while trying to get him to the shore.
What if i took him to the bottom with my octo and take his bcd off much easier and then get him out?

I know it is a happy ending story and not as bad as other stories. But i have a lot of "what ifs" in my mind and i hope that by sharing it with more experienced divers and getting feedback and suggestions it will help.

Thanks for sharing, others can learn from your experience.

• Diving in a three actually means one of your is diving solo, it changes as the dive progresses.
• You should have contingency plans for alternate exit points when shore diving. I such cold conditions you should have called the dive once you knew you had a dry-clove leak. But I know lots don’t.
• Get proper instruction for the drysuit, diving shallow is the most difficult.
• Kit failure at the pre-dive check was a warning to call the dive.
• Always check you know how your buddy(s) kit works, some twinsets have both right and left hand valves. Was there an isolation valve between the two cylinders, if not why not? Also, Diver 1 should have briefed you both on how to remove his kit in an emergency.
• Sounds like your twinset instructor isn’t a competent as you think, were they self taught.
• A low pressure leak will drain a cylinder much faster than a high pressure failure.

What actually happened here? His wing ruptured so he lost buoyancy? Or the twinset somehow dropped off the backplate and something started freeflowing at the same time?

• Always check you know how your buddy(s) kit works, some twinsets have both right and left hand valves. Was there an isolation valve between the two cylinders, if not why not? Also, Diver 1 should have briefed you both on how to remove his kit in an emergency.
• Sounds like your twinset instructor isn’t a competent as you think, were they self taught.
• A low pressure leak will drain a cylinder much faster than a high pressure failure.

There was an isolation valve between the two cylinders.
He is an instructor in the dive shop that i am diving with, but he was never my instructor. I only get courses back in my hometown every summer.

What actually happened here? His wing ruptured so he lost buoyancy? Or the twinset somehow dropped off the backplate and something started freeflowing at the same time?

Oh, sorry! Forgot to mention that, you are right.
Seems like his bcd exhaust valve froze and didn't get any air out, so as he kept inflating the bcd it exploded and then everything got ripped from the wing.

That's interesting. I guess if one had this problem and noticed it you could hopefully release pressure via the inflator hose valve, assuming both didn't freeze equally. But when ascending and using the rear dump valve (which also has the OPV), and if nothing happens when you use it, I suppose it could take a while to realize the problem and in the meantime you could end up at the surface and have the wing explode...

It is freezing cold and after 8 minutes i realize my right dry glove has a small leak. I am ready to signal that i will go out when Diver 1 hands me the buoy line

I such cold conditions you should have called the dive once you knew you had a dry-clove leak. But I know lots don’t.

some twinsets have both right and left hand valves.

What invention is this of yours
Was there an isolation valve between the two cylinders, if not why not?

if not why

Christozs you did the best job anybody could do, excellent, find different people for diving and learning

What invention is this of yours

if not why
Then diving in confined spaces its common to have vales that, if they touch to roof the value will not be turned off by friction with the roof/ceiling. The right cylinder is normal anticlockwise to open, the left cylinder is clockwise to open.

On my doubles the valves both shut the same way but since one is facing the opposite way you turn the valve the opposite direction.

I agree you don't dive with equipment malfunction. I have dove once with a bad inflator but it was pool drills.

Christozs you did the best job anybody could do, excellent, find different people for diving and learning
Agreed. There were some red flags before you went in. Particularly with Diver 2. Anyone that is knowingly diving with malfunctioning gear is not someone that you want to dive with as a buddy. At best, they will be unreliable. They can also be a danger to you as they could put you in a position where you’ll have to deal with their problems. Sounds like in this case Diver 2 was just unreliable as you dealt with the problems with Diver 1’s gear.

That brings up another area to learn from. Make sure you know how you buddy’s gear works. In this case, Diver 1’s doubles configuration was new to you and unfamiliar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom