Pretty good article on the Halcyon RB80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one thing I'm not sure I will ever understand is if the RB80 is as good as it is, and is still being trained and used by GUE, why they didn't use the SF2 for their CCR since it's the same unit, but alas, the world may never know.
Great article though
Very simply, the SF2 is not a quality piece of gear. Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk and cut with an axe is a good description of how the maker handles tolerances. Whats worse is, since they are making a perfect rebreather, it is unnecessary to correct any of it's faults.

Michael

Sure the article has some interesting facts about the rb80 but 99% of it sounds like an recruitment add.

I didn’t think to read the article until I saw your post above.

99%?

I thought it was a pretty straightforward article.

Very simply, the SF2 is not a quality piece of gear. Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk and cut with an axe is a good description of how the maker handles tolerances. Whats worse is, since they are making a perfect rebreather, it is unnecessary to correct any of it's faults.

Michael
I can’t speak to its quality, but the form factor would really simplify logistics forGUE/DIR style diving. Being able to use the same bailout racks as the RB80 would be fantastic. Easy to scale up and down depending on the dive, easy to integrate with RB80 teams, etc.

But alas, the JJ can do none of that.

The JJ clearly works, but I think other options could have worked better.

I can’t speak to its quality, but the form factor would really simplify logistics forGUE/DIR style diving. Being able to use the same bailout racks as the RB80 would be fantastic. Easy to scale up and down depending on the dive, easy to integrate with RB80 teams, etc.

But alas, the JJ can do none of that.

The JJ clearly works, but I think other options could have worked better.

I’m just a beginner with 117 hours on my JJ. But I did reef, wreck and cave diving.

I did use al40 and 7l tanks at my JJ. But I don’t know anybody who is using larger tanks then 7l at a JJ. (There are Gue divers using them, but almost none of them is using bigger tanks then 7l.)

RB80 divers here are using 8,5L (ean32) and 12L(trimix) tanks.

Deeper then 15 meter/50 feet you should use trimix at Gue ccr.

Do you think rb80 divers would use 7l tanks with trimix? Or do you think ccr divers will use 8,5l or 12l tanks backmounted ?

I did never need bigger tanks for my JJ. But I did need a bottom stage with ean32 in a mine when my 7l tanks were filled with 18/45. The problem is I did need trimix for dilluent. But if you have a failure at the JJ and bailout at 25 meter 18/45 give much more deco then ean32.

There are Gue divers using them, but almost none of them is using bigger tanks then 7l.

There are plenty of GUE divers using 8.5l tanks on their JJ.

From my point of view the SF2 is a modified pSCR to a eCCR. Combining the drawbacks of both machines. Additionally it has some quality issues (already mentioned above).

I’m just a beginner with 117 hours on my JJ. But I did reef, wreck and cave diving.

I did use al40 and 7l tanks at my JJ. But I don’t know anybody who is using larger tanks then 7l at a JJ. (There are Gue divers using them, but almost none of them is using bigger tanks then 7l.)

RB80 divers here are using 8,5L (ean32) and 12L(trimix) tanks.

Deeper then 15 meter/50 feet you should use trimix at Gue ccr.

Do you think rb80 divers would use 7l tanks with trimix? Or do you think ccr divers will use 8,5l or 12l tanks backmounted ?

I did never need bigger tanks for my JJ. But I did need a bottom stage with ean32 in a mine when my 7l tanks were filled with 18/45. The problem is I did need trimix for dilluent. But if you have a failure at the JJ and bailout at 25 meter 18/45 give much more deco then ean32.
Bailout volume is whatever it needs to be. On some dives it might require 7s. On some it might be 12l.

I think having the ability to easily choose which you take is important.

50s are fine for almost any open water technical dives. Diving in a two man team, 300' on a set of 50s is fine (assuming first gas switch at 120'). In a cave, especially deep cave, it's a different story. You can set up safeties up to a point, but eventually you'll need more on board volume. I haven't seen anyone rack mounting big steels to the JJ, so it typically drives you to the backmount CCR/SM bailout config. It's not rocket science or anything, but it would be nice to be able to keep everything the same.

I didn’t think to read the article until I saw your post above.

99%?

I thought it was a pretty straightforward article.

It starts with "Full Disclosure: Halcyon Dive Systems is a sponsor of InDepth".

So I don't know why expected anything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom