Wetsuit in March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc_Dave

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning! I am planning a trip to Maui in late March. What type of wetsuit do you typically wear at that time? TIA!!!

Visitors are often in a 3mm but the locals might be in a 5mm or even thicker. Water temp right now is @ 78 degrees...might go up another degree by then.

Thanks! Trying to figure out my packing!

I switched to a 5mm for year around in the Hawaiian Islands now. The 5mm keeps my warm even on multiple dive days.

Tagging on to this to avoid a new thread. I'll be in Kona next week and have a 7mm full or a 3mm shorty and 3mm vest to chose from. In December I dove in 80°-82° water in Cozumel in just the shorty and was fine. What should I take to Kona?

Tagging on to this to avoid a new thread. I'll be in Kona next week and have a 7mm full or a 3mm shorty and 3mm vest to chose from. In December I dove in 80°-82° water in Cozumel in just the shorty and was fine. What should I take to Kona?
I use a 5mm full suit. I just came back Saturday from the Big Island and the water temperature was 76 - 78F and dipped to 74 on a deeper dive. You will see dive guides in full 7-8mm with hoods right now.

I will be on Kona in 2 weeks but live and dive on Oahu. Our temps on Oahu are 73 - 74 right now. I tend to run hot but the most I ever wear is a long sleeve 5mm jacket and a hood on a cool day.

I live on Kauai and have been diving this winter in a 3mm with a hood. But I usually only do one tank.

If it's of any help, our diving in February was in 74-76 degree water, so it will be a bit warmer in March. My wife gets cold easily and was a little chilly in her 5mm full. I don't mind being cold at all and was comfy in my 3/2 full.

Back
Top Bottom