Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
How to Replace Backplate Harness Webbing
If it’s time or almost time to change your backplate harness webbing, this video should be helpful. One of the benefits of backplate and wing BC that folks often cite is the ability to change out your harness webbing. Where here it is. This harness was in use for I’m guessing 6-8 years, not sure on the dive count. It’s impressive to see just how worn the harness can be and still perform well. Also interesting to see where the wear is strongest, I would not have guessed. Along the way, tips and tricks are discussed along with products/materials recommendations.

Webbing changed from standard black to Coyote Brown, in anticipation of a new wing in the near future, in Multicam, possibly from AliExpress.

Quick question, does the stiffness of the webbing make a big difference or is it more of personal preference?
I ask because my wife wanted orange webbing and Deep6 had some, but it feels very soft and pliable and nothing like the webbing I'm used to. I actually used an old youtube video of yours to put together my first backplate. Thanks, Love your videos and keep them coming.

Anyone out there use the orange webbing from Deep6 on a backplate?

Quick question, does the stiffness of the webbing make a big difference or is it more of personal preference?
I ask because my wife wanted orange webbing and Deep6 had some, but it feels very soft and pliable and nothing like the webbing I'm used to. I actually used an old youtube video of yours to put together my first backplate. Thanks, Love your videos and keep them coming.

Hi SaltwaterNomad
Personally, I think the soft webbings I have seen and some of my rental units have had, wore much faster in the weight pocket area. Also, they are much harder to adjust when wet, though admittedly, that is rare for me (though it was an issue on rental units). I think a lot of folks (myself included when I first made the switch) judge the appropriateness of backplate materials and fit compared to how it feels with a tank on while standing/walking. Usually, folks complain about too tight and hurts shoulders on land, so make choices from there.

In-water needs are slightly different. 99% of first fit harnesses I see in the water are too loose.

I'd be interested to see what others say about soft webbing. I have read, but never personally witnessed, about folks using fabric softener to soften up stiff webbing.

I'm assuming you're talking about the orange polyester webbing deep 6 offers? Polyester webbing is generally softer and more pliable than nylon webbing, but what makes "scuba" nylon webbing so stiff is that it is often impregnated with resin to make it more resistant to water an abrasion, which greatly increases the stiffness. The reason you would want stiffer webbing on a harness is that it holds its shape, making it much easier to don the harness (big loops just hanging out into the air, webbing isn't going to twist as you put your arms through it). Softer webbing also has some radial flex from the center, especially on herringbone weaves. Think about how a seatbelt has a tendency to cup. On a harness carrying a tank on your shoulders, this will apply more of the pressure on a smaller surface area because only the very center of the webbing will be in contact with your body. Stiffer webbing will not cup, so you get more even distribution of pressure across the webbing creating less of a pressure point.

I've used deep 6's coated webbing, which is nice for abrasion and water resistance, but found the glossy coating was a bit slick on itself, so doesn't hold triglides in position. I currently use biothane 231 matte coated webbing, which has more tack to itself, but still has the benefits of coated webbing. A bit less stiff than resin impregnated nylon, but possibly more abrasion resistant (time will tell). So far, the matte coating seems more durable than the glossy coating. Biggest downside of any rubber coated webbing is finding the right buckle. Some bite too much into the coating, and some just pop open at the slightest load. On harnesses I don't need to adjust, I generally use a side release buckle to avoid this. On quick adjust harnesses, I use a buckle that I filed the teeth on for a perfect grip on my webbing.

I'm assuming you're talking about the orange polyester webbing deep 6 offers? Polyester webbing is generally softer and more pliable than nylon webbing, but what makes "scuba" nylon webbing so stiff is that it is often impregnated with resin to make it more resistant to water an abrasion, which greatly increases the stiffness. The reason you would want stiffer webbing on a harness is that it holds its shape, making it much easier to don the harness (big loops just hanging out into the air, webbing isn't going to twist as you put your arms through it). Softer webbing also has some radial flex from the center, especially on herringbone weaves. Think about how a seatbelt has a tendency to cup. On a harness carrying a tank on your shoulders, this will apply more of the pressure on a smaller surface area because only the very center of the webbing will be in contact with your body. Stiffer webbing will not cup, so you get more even distribution of pressure across the webbing creating less of a pressure point.

I've used deep 6's coated webbing, which is nice for abrasion and water resistance, but found the glossy coating was a bit slick on itself, so doesn't hold triglides in position. I currently use biothane 231 matte coated webbing, which has more tack to itself, but still has the benefits of coated webbing. A bit less stiff than resin impregnated nylon, but possibly more abrasion resistant (time will tell). So far, the matte coating seems more durable than the glossy coating. Biggest downside of any rubber coated webbing is finding the right buckle. Some bite too much into the coating, and some just pop open at the slightest load. On harnesses I don't need to adjust, I generally use a side release buckle to avoid this. On quick adjust harnesses, I use a buckle that I filed the teeth on for a perfect grip on my webbing.
Good summary, thanks...

@jagfish...I was looking at the wings you linked to on AliExpress and noted that all of them have the inflator coming over the left shoulder except the multi-cam one you want...it seems to have the inflator mounted coming over the right shoulder. Let me know if my eyes are deceiving me.

-Z

It would be of interest to see a video that gives an idea how less stiff Piranha's standard webbing is in comparison to the stiff version in the video above.

-Z

@jagfish...I was looking at the wings you linked to on AliExpress and noted that all of them have the inflator coming over the left shoulder except the multi-cam one you want...it seems to have the inflator mounted coming over the right shoulder. Let me know if my eyes are deceiving me.

-Z
Oh, interesting...nice catch. I'll have to have a closer look! Hopefully a mirrored photo.

Reactions: Zef
Although it makes very little difference underwater ... I just changed mine from DGX to Halycon. The DGX webbing was too stiff for adjusting and travel packing when dry (I have Mares SF loop on my backplate). Am Happy with the Halycon”s stiffness.

No affiliation with the store. But Seattle Fabrics stocks a relatively stiff resin impregnated webbing for belts and harnesses. If you prefer this type. Sold by the yard and comparatively cheap. (They also have various soft 2" webbings.)

Dive Belt Webbing | Scuba Webbing | Seattle Fabrics

Back
Top Bottom