BP/W for my first purchase + weighting ques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This maybe nit-picking but, in comparing the stainless BPs, they all seem to be around 5.5 lbs. except Piranha which is 4.1 lbs, I assume because it’s made thinner, dimensionally it looks the same, anybody see an issue with it flexing/bending? Does this matter?

Probably not. There aren't really any forces in play once you're in the water. Same goes for shoulder pads: they only matter while you're walking geared-up topside.

Flexing is not an issue as they aren't under any loads worth mentioning. Early harnesses and some modern commercial harnesses are just straps and a little bit of hardware to keep the tank in place.

The steel is primarily for ballast. They also make these in aluminum or skeletonized steel for those who want less weight for travel or they don't need the weight since they dive heavy steel cylinders in warm water.

Edit: The internal backplate in most BCDs is either plastic or fabric.

Regarding weights, really, everyones' mileage will vary based on how much weight one needs.

What I do, for tropical diving, is put my weight pockets on my cam band. I only need Zero to 4 lbs depending on if I'm wearing my 3mm vill wetsuit or not. My weight is not ditchable, but I can easily swim up in my rig...

Others I've seen have a pocket on the waist belt as close to the plate as possible, with a triglide to prevent the pockets from sliding. While still, others just prefer to use a weight belt...

I was in your position about 13 months ago after I returned from a Playa del Carmen trip. I am 100% warm water vacation diver and I was tired of renting and wanted my own equipment. The "stickied" posts at the top of the BC page have great information. Spend a lot of time reading old posts here, just about any question you can come up with has been answered before. So much great knowledge here! Don't be in a rush to purchase, take your time.

I about about 235 lbs and I went from 18 lbs of lead (rental jacket) to 10 lbs with BP\W (rash guard and shorts, no wet suit). I went with a Freedom Plate (use Search on this site if you don't know what that is) as my BP. After reading a ton I got all of the strapping, clips, etc.. from Randy at Piranha. If you call Piranha Randy will either answer the phone or call back to answer any questions you may have. Great to talk to!

For warm water rash guard only diving I bought a 18 lb wing from Bryan at Vintage Double Hose. I think he's out of stock on them now though. I think HOG is very similar, but not sure. I might try some local lake diving here this summer, so if I do I will get a 23 lb wing. I think you need multiple wings for different situations. I was worried that the 18 lb wing wouldn't provide enough lift, but it works great in warm water and is just enough!

For weight, I use 2 Scuba Pro cam band pockets at 5 lbs each. They're kinda pricey, but they are holding up well. I also picked up some XS SCUBA Velcro pockets for the waist, but I haven't needed them.

Scubapro X-Tek Counterweight Pockets, Pair

XS-Scuba Quick-Attach Single Weight Pocket

Even though I "only" use 10 lbs, I might try to see if I can reduce that number even more. My last trip was the first one with all my own gear, so its still a work in process.

My setup.
Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

I was in your position about 13 months ago after I returned from a Playa del Carmen trip. I am 100% warm water vacation diver and I was tired of renting and wanted my own equipment. The "stickied" posts at the top of the BC page have great information. Spend a lot of time reading old posts here, just about any question you can come up with has been answered before. So much great knowledge here! Don't be in a rush to purchase, take your time.

Sounds familiar! The sticky posts have been a great source too. And getting to hear from some of you has been awesome. BTW, love the Goat! I have a ‘67 Chevelle w/468 BBC.

Thanks to everyone who has shared, I love the exchange of ideas and chatting. I’ll be sifting through all the cool stuff, can’t wait to put it all together.

I'm a fan of HOG's Total Buoyancy Control System. Everything's modular. Want a chest strap? You can have one. Don't like the chest strap later on? Take it off.

I'm a fan of HOG's Total Buoyancy Control System. Everything's modular. Want a chest strap? You can have one. Don't like the chest strap later on? Take it off.

"Total Buoyancy Control System" just seems like ad copy to me. I have seen the videos from HOG and looked at their catalog and the Total Buoyancy Control System just seems like any other backplate and wing system that one can mix and match add ons to customize. It is not some miracle system.

One can choose a metal plate in steel or aluminum, or a soft plate....one can choose a simple hogarthian harness or a delux "H" style harness, or a even a fancier adjustable one with padded shoulder straps. One can choose quick dump weight pockets or simple trim weight pockets. Once can choose simple tank straps or quick release type ones.

People seem to mention the Total Buoyancy Control System as if it is somehow something other than a backplate, wing, and harness. Other than all the components coming from a single brand, I am not sure what the big deal is...One of my daughters has a HOG aluminum plate with a HOG wing, a simple hogarthian style harness from HOG, HOG quick dump pockets, and quick release tank straps...we didn't buy this as a TBCS package but all these items are parts of the TBCS as discussed in the video below...and none of it does anything different than the mix and match system that we put together for my wife which includes a Subgravity size small plate, a dive rite wing, a simple hogarthian harness that we pieced together by buying a length of webbing to add the d-rings and slides we already had, dive rite qb pockets, and simple cam straps....we have a selection of trim pockets that can be added as needed.

There are companies that market soft plates in addition to HOG, such as Dive Rite, OMS, and others.

All the BP/W systems are modular to one extent or another....what am I missing about the HOG TBCS that makes it so special other than the HOG logo?

I think HOG is a great company and they make/market some great products, but everytime someone mentions their Total Buoyancy Control System I can't help but think I am missing the point of what it really is.

-Z

The HOG TBCS does seem to have an attractive price for a complete package if the prices I have found and compared to similar packages are correct.

-Z

The HOG TBCS does seem to have an attractive price for a complete package if the prices I have found and compared to similar packages are correct.

-Z
True that there is nothing unique but it addresses the uncertainty about what will go with what that keeps many people sticking with regular b/c’s rather than head down the frustration rabbit hole.

True that there is nothing unique but it addresses the uncertainty about what will go with what that keeps many people sticking with regular b/c’s rather than head down the frustration rabbit hole.

I don't doubt you are correct, but I figured that by the time someone was entertaining the thought of a bp/w type system they would already recognize the advantages over a standard BCD. The only compatibility issue that I have noted are whether the slots on a particular wing will align with the slots on a particular plate. Longer slots = increased compatibility.

Edit: I added this response so that if someone stumbles across it in their research that perhaps it will encourage them to explore various product brands to meet their needs as opposed to "settling" on one particular brand out of fear, concern, or lack of knowledge about what will work with what.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom