Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then you are completely mistaken about the survival rate. For men aged 20 to 64 (Ie working age) in the U.K. 30 have dies per 100k of population. About 20 for women. That is a equivalent (dividing by 100) to 999.7 who are not dead yet. Of those 1000 about 15% have been infected. That means the deaths/1000 is 0.3 *6 or 1.8. Thus survival rate is 998.2 or about 10 times worse than your claim.

have you got any actual data to support your claim or is it just something you “heard”?
I looked it up about two months ago, I will try and verify.

Then you are completely mistaken about the survival rate. For men aged 20 to 64 (Ie working age) in the U.K. 30 have dies per 100k of population. About 20 for women. That is a equivalent (dividing by 100) to 999.7 who are not dead yet. Of those 1000 about 15% have been infected. That means the deaths/1000 is 0.3 *6 or 1.8. Thus survival rate is 998.2 or about 10 times worse than your claim.

have you got any actual data to support your claim or is it just something you “heard”?
Went back and re-read your post. You are saying 30 people out of 150 people (15%) died due to infection? Is that something you heard?

<<>> have you got any actual data to support your claim or is it just something you “heard”?

Got Data - I do.

Eagle County, Colorado

Total Confirmed Cases = 4,317

The actual number of cases is higher. This number is only the number of positive test results. It is generally thought that many folks in the county have had COVID, but were not tested. I've 'heard' this - in person - from the head of our county's public health department. False positives - a small decrease in total confirmed - more than offset by the untested folks.
Dead? 17 unfortunate folks

Fraction dead = 0.00394
Fraction alive = 0.99606

Vegas? I'd bet on the alive number at an even payout - how about you?

What would the number be if you estimated the number of COVID positive folks that were untested?

Well, you certainly have made that clear ... have you asked any of the COVID dead folks?

BUT - wait a minute here and let's think about this - DEATH is pretty big.

And check with that 20-40 age group - most would not seem to agree with you. These folks are the most infected and likely the biggest spreaders. Young folks in a resort area get around and have a sense of invulnerability. Maybe it is similar in your community? I am not arguing or discussing you virus positions and premises - only looking at what is going on in my community. And it doesn't look like what you seem to want.

SO - it seems to me that most folks, like the folks coming to ski resorts, don't agree with you - following what you consider to be 'best practices'. No judgment on my part - I am just looking around and see what is in front of me.

How would you have a greater percentage of the population follow your lead? Strong arm, fines, confinement?

Vail will have 20k plus visitors this Saturday.

There are 3 exits from I70 to Vail - would you have the National Guard block tourists at the entrances to our community? Confiscate their rides? For those arriving at EGE, would you have the airplanes impounded?

The Governor of Colorado, Polis, doesn't agree with you - how about in your state? Does your state look the way you want it to be?

There is no question that SB knows where you stand - what are you doing to see adoption of your V viewpoints and position? You seem very unhappy with the current state of V-affairs, right?

I'm really not sure what your point is. Your questions seem to be about my motives and what would I do if I were King?. I won't get personal and question YOUR motives, and I don't think I'd like it if you were King. :) We just tried that King thing, it didn't go so well.

My point is that making a decision based only on death rates is not necessarily a good decision, since considerably more people have lingering issues from a Covid infection, than die, and those lingering issues can severely affect quality of life. That is important to me, perhaps not to you, and clearly not thought about by all the young skiers because they are inundated only with death numbers, and since they are immortal it is of no consequence.

I'm really not sure what your point is. Your questions seem to be about my motives and what would I do if I were King?. I won't get personal and question YOUR motives, and I don't think I'd like it if you were King. :) We just tried that King thing, it didn't go so well.

My point is that making a decision based only on death rates is not necessarily a good decision, since considerably more people have lingering issues from a Covid infection, than die, and those lingering issues can severely affect quality of life. That is important to me, perhaps not to you, and clearly not thought about by all the young skiers because they are inundated only with death numbers, and since they are immortal it is of no consequence.

Beat me to it, just as well, you are a better "wordsmith" then I am.
Ditto.
Also, from divemagazine .co.uk
CAN COVID-19 PATIENTS RETURN TO DIVING? - DIVE Magazine

Got Data - I do.

Eagle County, Colorado

Total Confirmed Cases = 4,317

The actual number of cases is higher. This number is only the number of positive test results. It is generally thought that many folks in the county have had COVID, but were not tested. I've 'heard' this - in person - from the head of our county's public health department. False positives - a small decrease in total confirmed - more than offset by the untested folks.
Dead? 17 unfortunate folks

Fraction dead = 0.00394
Fraction alive = 0.99606

Vegas? I'd bet on the alive number at an even payout - how about you?

What would the number be if you estimated the number of COVID positive folks that were untested?
Looking to book Steamboat in April, but the numbers in that county are off the scale? Decisions Decisions...

These numbers will not prevent 20k+ folks from traveling to Vail this Saturday to ski/ride. The town will be quite full.

and you guys wonder why the world is laughing at the usa ?

I care about my older fellow citizens. Just stating a fact and as you know, the older one gets, the more cautious they have to be. Life.

Yeah, Life.

I worked past 70 to max out my Social Security benefits. Granted it was at a six figure salary.

So my contribution was probably at a higher value than average.

As the COVID statistics alter the mortality tables, and as the selfish attitudes contribute to the mortality rates, we’ve discovered a solution to the under-funding that has concerned the younger generations.

Congratulations, I appreciate everything I’ve done to ensure your future.

Don’t thank me, just book me on a live aboard to the Maldives.

Ok, thanks for the update on your political point of view

I’m not talking about what I would do as the head-POO-PA.

I am talking about real-time behavior that in Colorado / Eagle County that meets all local, state and federal mandates.

And this behavior is at odds with what you are espousing.

We have huge tourist number - Saturday will see our county’s population increase by ~50%, close quarters while skiing, lots of indoor dining, full grocery stores, The construction business is booming. HD is jammed and out of stock on many construction items, and <6 in the hospital.

We do have teen suicide increases, kids at home and out of school and government employees working from home

My point is what would you have government do to reflect your personal value judgments about how the COVID war should be run? And relate that to what you would do as head King of Eagle County.

The world that you want isn’t what is happening in front of me.

And, my political leaning are absolutely none of your business

BTW - what state and county do you live in? It would be interesting to compare your crib to mine. Me? I’ll bet that Eagle County numbers are better than wherever on the ‘east’ coast you live, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom