Ginnie Springs diver missing - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The head of the IUCRR does not allow the recovery divers to talk and forbids them from publishing anything about certain recoveries if it doesn't fit the narrative.

and what exactly is the narrative? I'm not trying to be a wise guy -- just curious, that's all.

I get the ego connection and fear of litigation. Explain how money and criticism affects a supposedly objective accident investigation and analysis.

Instructors (or fill stations or agencies) of divers who go on to have a fatal accident don't want to be associated with a fatality. Its the worst kind of zero star on their reputation. They (along with the surviving family) also want their deceased friend to be viewed positively.

And if you don't see how the good ol' boys network, bystanders silently just going along not making waves, ego, money, reputation, and litigation all intersect into one giant furball - just look at Rob Stewart's death, the recovery, the court filings, and the resulting collapse of AddHelium.

And it worked IMO.
And rather than praise, he'll be derided for it.

Here's a strategy: leak it to someone who will get the word out. There are any number of posters, including myself, who'll be glad to post something 'second hand' if we can be sure that we're talking to first hand. No need for us to identify our sources either.

and what exactly is the narrative? I'm not trying to be a wise guy -- just curious, that's all.

complicated, but the ones that they seem to sweep under the rug tend to be the ones that are embarrassing for someone prominent in the community

complicated, but the ones that they seem to sweep under the rug tend to be the ones that are embarrassing for someone prominent in the community

On this one, the only people that got nasty with me about my posts were some well known instructors who were also friends with the victim. But the funny thing is those same people are well known to be the leakers of information from other incidents where it wasn't a friend. So just because it's a friend I've got to be quiet?

... the ones that they seem to sweep under the rug tend to be the ones that are embarrassing for someone prominent in the community
I can attest to that. I pulled via open records filing the medical examiner/dl's/enzymes report on " the-person-who-has-a-state-park-named-after-them." Took over 9 months and some legal moves and was fought and dribbled info until they understood they couldn't block it. Anyone can pull a request but most want someone else to do the hard work of doing it.

I can attest to that. I pulled via open records filing the medical examiner/dl's/enzymes report on " the-person-who-has-a-state-park-named-after-them." Took over 9 months and some legal moves and was fought and dribbled info until they understood they couldn't block it. Anyone can pull a request but most want someone else to do the hard work of doing it.

If someone really cared they could start a cave diving accident analysis organization, make the records requests, and post the reports. There is literally nothing stopping anyone from doing this if they are willing to spend the time, the nominal amount of money, and accept the liability and/or social consequences if you make a mistake publishing something you shouldn't have.

If you want IUCRR or NSSCDS to do this for you, you are wasting your energy - regardless of what their websites, bylaws, or other mission statements say.

On this one, the only people that got nasty with me about my posts were some well known instructors who were also friends with the victim. But the funny thing is those same people are well known to be the leakers of information from other incidents where it wasn't a friend. So just because it's a friend I've got to be quiet?

Both parts of your post happen all the time, both publicly and privately.

The wagons circle quickly, and for high profile victims or instructors associated with an incident, the intimidation or stifling tactics can be very intense.

Often, the ones asking for non-disclosure or privacy for the people involved are the same ones leaking information or gossiping about other incidents, sometimes very obviously in writing.

Yup, same old, same old. If you have factual information from first hand sources that you're confident about or you were there, you have or probably develop thick skin trying to get correct information out there to hopefully learn from. Sometimes that learning may involve things that we should already know, but it reminds us that we need to learn them better or pay more attention to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom