Uneasy feeling of booking an August trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I could have waited until May as I have a $138 voucher from last year's chaos that expires then, but I've been watching fares increase without the Southwest Effect in play, so I booked. I'd applied for an American-Citibank credit card to take $250 off of the purchase, and that required additional information so the instant approval didn't happen, leading to a week-long wait on the card to arrive, so I had that long to talk myself out of this attempt, but didn't. I certainly have sour feelings about the fiasco I endured last year with multiple changes, weather delays 12 hours before the original take-off, rerouting to leave out of Amarillo instead of Lubbock, that flight delayed so much that I couldn't make it to Cozumel or Cancun the same day, and my cancelation followed by two days of trying to get my packed luggage back. Unpacking all of that just added to the downer.

So, now I've bought the ticket, reserved a hotel, booked Salty Endeavors for dives, and bought my trip insurance. After changing my trip insurance dates repeatedly last year, then having to come up with one of those emails to support a hotel charge for dates before the previously planned date of travel, I booked dates several days before and several after the actual flight plans so that'll give me wiggle room at the same price. I do hope the environment improves substantially by then. I'll have my second vaccination jab in February if all goes well, and that may still offer protection six months later - to some mutations at least. The extra gamble on return testing and possible delays add even more to all this.

Now the wait to see how much the airline will jerk me around! :banghead:

I think it going to be more various governments changing policies at this point. Travel especially international for 2021 right now is a total crap shoot at best.

I'm booked for April and would be shocked if my flights didn't change. I've got some ideas for backups, or worst case I'll get a refund if they have a significant change that won't work out, but figure this is the reality of travel right now. I've had four trips booked for various things this past year and all four had major flight changes. Unfortunately this is the new reality of travel for the near and mid term.

I'm booked for April and would be shocked if my flights didn't change.

Us too.
March 30 - PDX to DFW
Quality Inn for $66.64 Net
March 31 - DFW to CZM
April 11 - CZM - DFW - PDX.

Couldn't tell you how many times we've tried to fly in to or out of CZM. Able to fly in once. Never out. Grown to detest the bag drag.

Obviously this is American, and while I hate them, they do seem to be slightly more reliable than United lately.

Obviously this is American, and while I hate them, they do seem to be slightly more reliable than United lately.
That reminds me of how much I miss Continental.

I think you will be good as far as safety and protocols. Flight snafus can't be predicted, but I think we should be on the upswing economically and medically by August. I am not a doctor, but I have been known to pretend to be one. Have you dove with Salty Endeavors before? We have been diving with them for the past 3 years or so, and they are definitely a great outfit. My wife did her Advanced with Raymundo and we enjoyed it so much that we brought our kids and their significant others the next year and had him do their OW certs. They have spoiled us so much that my wife doesn't even want to think about shore diving now. We are still planning to go early Feb, and will be diving with Henry and Raymundo again. Fingers crossed no more unexpected changes occur.

Us too.
March 30 - PDX to DFW
Quality Inn for $66.64 Net
March 31 - DFW to CZM
April 11 - CZM - DFW - PDX.

Couldn't tell you how many times we've tried to fly in to or out of CZM. Able to fly in once. Never out. Grown to detest the bag drag.

Are these canceled flights from American post covid? I never had a problem with American canceling or switching flights. I haven’t flown since covid though.

I would avoid flying American if any way possible. I'll do the bag drag through Playa del Carmen over flying American.

Are these canceled flights from American post covid? I never had a problem with American canceling or switching flights. I haven’t flown since covid though.

The flights are not canceled --- yet.
Those are our currently scheduled flights.
I'm happy for you that American hasn't canceled or switched flights. The jerks do that to us regularly.

I completely understand.
If we make it a one day trip, the bag drag is the cherry on top of an exhausting day - we have to get up at 3:00 am, and get to the island at 6:30 pm +/-. Of course Murphy's law always rears it's ugly head, and if we get to bed by midnight the night before.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom