Why I love Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attached is a screenshot from Atomic's website. It describes the feature which I think causes them to recommend that the rig be attached to a cylinder for cleaning. Is the "soft rubber low-pressure seat" an o-ring? Is this basically saying that when the second stage is left connected to the low pressure hose, the seal can be damaged over time?

Attachments

• Atomic_second_stage.png
    Atomic_second_stage.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 99
No, the seat is a pad not an oring. In the picture, it is the orange/pink disk on the right side. The seat saver feature (which is simple a thin washer with a springy wave to it that flattens out when pressure is applied) keeps the metal orifice, shown on the left side from resting on the pad except when pressurized.

When there is no pressure the springy washer pulls the orifice back very slightly. That's what creates the possibility of water entering the hose if you rinse the second stage when it isn't pressurized.

@SaltyWombat :

The photo should explain the function of the LP Seat Saving Orifice mechanism and why it may allow water to enter the low pressure hose, when the regulator is not pressurized. The air pressure from the first stage pushes on the orifice and compresses the wave spring. Without the air pressure from your tank, the wave spring pushes the orifice "away" from the low pressure seat.

The wave spring is nothing more than a very small wave washer. As you can see, if you press on it uniformly on its entire surface, it becomes flat and when uncompressed, returns to its normal shape.

Atomic Second Stage Inside.jpg Wave Washer.jpg

Hopefully this helps.

O.

This side of the pond, I hardly ever see Atomic regs. It's all Scubapro or Apeks. Unless I'm diving with a buddy whose gear is a lot older than my OW cert.

Anyone have a hypothesis as to why?

Plenty of dealers in the UK and Germany and other EU countries. They aren't as big as SP and AL since SP and AL have been in business in Europe forever. Atomic is a relatively new comer there. Atomic isn't as good in marketing also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom