Diving near Tampa Florida this February, Recommendations, and a few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gamon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello.

I will be near Tampa with one day available for diving at the end of February - more specifically in New Port Richey which is North of Tampa. I'd like to get a sample of a few wrecks in the Gulf.

After doing my research I'm not finding much in the way of Dive Operators in that immediate area and given that I've only got 1 day I'm really not looking to drive too far.

I found Narcosis Scuba Center in Tarpon Springs which is only 20 minutes away and I'm booked but I have a few questions- and the new guy Jacob is friendly and helpful but didn't have the answers and although he promised to get back to me I haven't heard from anyone yet.

I have to be at the dive shop at 5 am and it's a full day excursion. So the boat ride has gotta be pretty long, is that right?

I prefer intact wrecks, and based on my research I requested the Blackthorn and Sheridan. Any other suggestions? After I booked I realized a 3 tank dive might be possible, what could be a good third wreck?

The cost of the dives without tanks was $159, plus another $50 for 2 Nitrox tanks, that seems high especially as compared to SE Florida where the average cost is closer to $90 with tanks.

Wetsuit thickness for late March? I'm relatively cold tolerant.

Other nearby Dive Operators (Tanks-A-Lot and 2 Sheas) state on their websites they don't do wrecks shallower than 60' I thought that was odd?

Narcosis needs 3 divers to run a trip, wondering what my chances are that they will meet that minimum in March and what the typical weather conditions are like in the Gulf that time of year in terms of wind and waves.

Thanks to those who take the time to read this and offer advice and suggestions.

It is a full day event, as you typically have a 90 minutes to 2 hour boat ride to the dive site. For a two tank trip leaving at 8am (like 2Shea/Tanks-a-lot) you are going to be getting back around 2pm, three tanks will add another 2 hours.

Blackthorn/Sheridan is a pretty rare trip. I would imagine that at least one dive will be on one of the reefs in the Veteran's memorial reef. Skip the Circle of Heros, if you have any choice. I might sign up as I've been trying to get to the Blackthorn/Sheridan.

Yes that nitrox price is pretty high, and it probably is just AL80s.

Temperature wise you would be looking at the 60s. We typically hit our low in the February, so it is on the way up in March. The question is what is the low we are going to hit this year. The Gulf got pretty cold pretty quickly.

*Correction the date is 2/28/2021 I mixed it up with another trip to SE Florida at the end of March*

Thanks @Manatee Diver for the quick response and answers.

If you go to the Narcosis website you'll see February 28 is the only date that is open for booking- they did that after I called them. It would be great to have some company (and help ensure we've got enough divers).

I don't have any interest in seeing the statues I'd much rather do wrecks.

According to my emailed confirmation I have to be at the shop (or boat) at 5 am, that was for a 2 tank dive, I asked Jacob if I could switch to a 3 tank wreck dive, again I have yet to hear back.

I've ran boats in the gulf for the past 4 years but a little further south, in the Bradenton area specifically. Everything that Manatee Diver said is pretty correct. The extra cost for diving in the gulf is for Fuel/Time to get to the dive locations. The gulf is very flat and essentially requires about 20-mile run to get to 80' of depth. There are a number of wrecks beside the two you mentioned, Fin Barge, Pillsbury and Mexican Pride with 80', 110', and 130' to the sand respectively. Those wrecks are well known and frequented by fisherman and dive charters.

The water temperature in March will be in the 60's and top side conditions are hit and miss. Cold fronts that traverse the gulf usually impact diving for a week or more at a time. You may get lucky and have a completely flat day in which case it is very likely the charter will have enough people to run. As you get closer to your dive date, use "windfinder" weather site for the Egmont Channel to gauge wave heights. If you start seeing 3'+, there is a good chance of a blow out.

@gamon You can check out 2shea or tanks-a-lot dive charters out of Clearwater i have dove with them a couple of times they are a well run operation both owned by the same captain. 2shea is a 6 pack tanks a lot is a big boat. they leave a bit later than narcosis and are priced about the same. you do have to pay for parking at the location the go out from but it is only $10 for all day.

2Shea and Tanks a Lot as mentioned are pretty good ops. I’ve never dove with them, but have seen them recommended many times. I also see them out at many of the popular dive sites often.

The Gulf is very shallow in West Central FL, so longish trips are the norm. Not sure where the Narcosis trip leaves out of, but if it’s in the Tarpon Springs area (probably out of Anclote), it would be a long run south in addition to the long run west. From Clearwater pass it’s over 22 miles to the site, and that’s mostly a WSW run. Anclote would be more of a SW heading.

Regarding water temps, I’ve never worn thicker than a 3MM in the Gulf. Looking back at the dives I’ve done in late March nearby, temps have been in the low to upper 60s. But, I’m curious what will happen this year. It’s been colder this winter than we usually see.

2Shea and Tanks a Lot as mentioned are pretty good ops.

Tanks-A-Lot and 2 Sheas state on their websites they don't do wrecks deeper than 60', they're also further away from where I will be staying- but after I read your post I reached out to both of them and left messages.

Might be worth the longer drive if the boat trip is shorter.

Tanks-A-Lot and 2 Sheas state on their websites they don't do wrecks deeper than 60',
That's true but there isn't much around that area more than 60'. Boat ride to most sites is 20 - 30 minutes with them. I definitely understand wanting a shorter drive I don't use Narcosis because it is farther for me and they leave butt early lol

I don't use Narcosis because it is farther for me and they leave butt early lol

They sure do. 5 AM.

I heard back from 2 Sheas. Much shorter trip and reasonable departure time. Despite what's posted on their site they will do wrecks in the 80 range.

** Thanks to the advice on this thread I changed my booking from Narcosis to 2 Sheas on 2/28/2021**

I specifically requested wrecks only, a 3 tank trip if possible and not the Circle of Heros or the other statues.

**There was one other diver booked on the Narcosis charter on 2/28 so if it's someone from this thread please note the change **

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom