Looking for a new light...suggestions quite welcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KSDeepDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking for a new light/torch.

would like it to be rechargeable, compact, good to tech limits in depth, handheld, good battery life, BRIGHT and well built.

im willing to use rechargeable batteries if that’s the only downside to a light that meets/exceeds my current expectations.

anyone recommend a light/torch that meets the majority of my wants?

Thanks!

I wish there was brighter ones. I have a couple 4 battery led lights/torch that are bright as can be but they’re more of a flood light and not really one to pin point locations.

When I first started diving, the rule was to get the brightest light you could find. Now, with LEDs, some divers find that you actually can have too much light. Very bright lights tend to scare away a lot of night dwelling sea life. 1000 lumens is about the brightest most people are happy with unless you need brighter for cave diving or video. Some actually like less light.

Most of the new lights are way too bright! I run mine at 300 lumens and it is still brighter than anything that we had when I first started diving in the 80's. I like my Light & Motion Sola 1200 it has been a great light and goes on sale pretty frequently.

The DGX 600 is excellent. I bought one for my wife to use in Puget Sound (dark, green, cold) waters. It is much better than other lights we've used over the years. Simple, reliable, bright, good battery life. Uses 18650 rechargeable so it is cheap and easy to do a battery swap.

When I first started diving, the rule was to get the brightest light you could find. Now, with LEDs, some divers find that you actually can have too much light. Very bright lights tend to scare away a lot of night dwelling sea life. 1000 lumens is about the brightest most people are happy with unless you need brighter for cave diving or video. Some actually like less light.
I have the DGX 600 button. There are lots of versions of the same basic light out there. Most claim to be 1000 lumens. I agree that the brightest setting is too high for night diving. I only use it on high for looking into crevices in the reef during day dives.

May I know what do you typically do during diving with using 1000 lumens light? If I make night diving, do I need very bright lights? I don't know the different requirements for dive lights if I make cave diving, fishing hunting, or uw photography video... Sorry for my asking stupid questions, but you people know all this stuff and I don't have a clue! :p

recently posted this so pasting it in:

Sealife Sea Dragon Mini 900
- Top mounted push button with colour LED battery status indicator
- Sturdy and tiny full anodized aluminium housing, 130g (-100g in water), extremely low profile for the 900 lumens, no bulk at all when clipped off
- rechargeable Li-ion
- 3 brightness modes and 2 signal modes
- obvious 3 flashes when you turn the light off, to confirm that it is off
- 100m rating and pressure release valve, always keeps a perfect seal with quality machined threads
- beam is 14 degrees (10 under water), ideal for reef nooks and wrecks
- Battery life not a problem on full power using it on and off to scope out nooks in the daytime, or for having it on throughout two wreck/night dives on half or even quarter power.

the red one in the pic

Attachments

• IMG_1587.jpeg
    IMG_1587.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 83
I have gravitated to Big Blue lights. Bullet proof for me, rechargeable and bright.

Primary for me is the VTL2600P. Max power is 2600 lumen dual beam. 120 wide and 10 degree narrow. Beam and intensity adjusted via a single button. This ships with a goodman glove which frees your hand for other uses. 2600 beam great for daylight investigation of cracks, crevices and over hangs. 1.5 hour burn time at full beam.

Backup (first Big Blue purchase) is an AL1200N narrow beam. Four power levels.

Bigblue Dive Lights | Underwater LED Dive Lights | Scuba Lights

Back
Top Bottom