Covid-19 infection on a liveaboard at the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upload_2021-1-25_17-24-10.png

Well again my English. I did not know "outings" means international travel. I thought it ment having a brief (outdoor) excursion...
You mean like this one?

View attachment 638502

Hah! You should definitely avoid #4, with or without COVID...

I did not bring an example for my travel choices as my mentioned travels all have been in the past, without getting infected by Covid-19. Also my travels are unrelated to the post itself.

I am not sure why most people criticising me are from the USA, one of the countries with the most infections per captiva worldwide. To me it does not have too much credibility while not being able to contain this illness in a developed western country...
The overwhelming majority of SB members are Americans most likely.

View attachment 638503

Well again my English. I did not know "outings" means international travel. I thought it ment having a brief (outdoor) excursion...
Seriously? So...even if unnecessary outings was as you were defining it, you don't think they'd be even more concerned about unnecessary international travel??? Stop trying to justify your personal decision to travel in a pandemic - you are not breaking any laws so, at present, you are free to do so. Many of the rest of us just feel it's not the responsible choice right now.

Plus you don't want to end up at "Fun Island Resort & Spa"

Doesn't that name just put the icing on the cake? Talk about adding insult to injury. Imagine what could be done with the travel brochures...

'Now with complimentary bedbugs!'
'Mold that grows on you!'
'100% of our guests extend their stay!'

So now that I have explained about the statistical chance of carrying the virus as a traveller you are jumping on the bandwagon of "new variants". New variants not only develop in far-away countries but in every community where the virus is present.

Yes there is a less than 1% chance that a screened traveller is bringing a new variant along. But in the same time there is a 10% chance of getting infected by any variant present in your own neighbourhood.
You're just pulling these numbers out of the air

It is clearly a false claim that international travel increases the infection numbers.
This is exactly opposite what the experts at CDC are telling us. Now I don't know who to believe...

As is often the case, we find ourselves down in the weeds dissecting statistics and language.

While a LOB is possibly the best place to dive, it is also probably the worst place to get sick.

IMHO, the single most important issue is whether recreational travel - against the backdrop of a deadly pandemic - can truly be justified.

Back
Top Bottom