Covid-19 infection on a liveaboard at the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So now that I have explained about the statistical chance of carrying the virus as a traveller you are jumping on the bandwagon of "new variants". New variants not only develop in far-away countries but in every community where the virus is present.

Yes there is a less than 1% chance that a screened traveller is bringing a new variant along. But in the same time there is a 10% chance of getting infected by any variant present in your own neighbourhood.

What about the new mutations? Brazil, uk, south africa. The dont spread by themself.
Africa mutation came to germany buy travelers.
The mutation was unknown the time they traveled, so every time someone travels there is a risk of bringing new forms/mutations to new countrys.

And this is worse when traveling to poor countrys. Like written in the report, they couldnt handle the simple things like a clean bed, fast testing.
What will happen, when a mutation like the uk one will arrive there?

The "UK variant" has been around for a time now. All over Europe. The thing is that it was detected in the UK because there are currently the best methods for analysing the virus.

Mutations happen not only in other areas but in your own country/continent.

On the diary 13th January “The UK, where we live, announced that they will require a negative PCR test for arrivals from the 15th of January and we were planning to fly home on the 16th.”
If they left the UK around the 20th Dec they left during a major breakout of a new COVID variant, which has now spread to Ireland and overwhelmed our health system and killed hundreds of people.
Sadly, the UK has been remis in handling/ stopping the international spread of that variant. I say this on the 30th day of Tier 4 lockdown in Scotland. This is besides the responsibilities of the actual travellers and is not intended to excuse their collective misjudgement.

Sadly, the UK has been remis in handling/ stopping the international spread of that variant. I say this on the 30th day of Tier 4 lockdown in Scotland. This is besides the responsibilities of the actual travellers and is not intended to excuse their collective misjudgement.

Sadly most of the interventions came far too late. I am still not sure how you can believe that any measures can stop the spread of a virus within one Island?
Even if travellers are stopped there has to be a movement of goods. What do you think about travellers getting screened? Completely worthless?
In my opinion it still filters the bigger part of the eventually contagious people.

Dear fellow divers,

I would like to post the link to an eyeopening description of the ordeal of a group of divers after getting infected with Covid-19 on a liveaboard at the Maldives at the end of December 2020.
Kathrin Schuler from Switzerland was one of the divers who went through this experience and she was kind enough to share her "diary" with everyone to learn from what happened.

https://medium.com/@kathrinschuler/...the-maldives-is-nice-think-again-ccb9ebe0a5de

I personally think that despite Covid-19 being around for over a year by now many things went terribly wrong. The article could actually help others avoiding to get into a similar situtation or at least how to handle some aspects of it better prepared.

Kathrin also told me that someone from the group is writing about the events that (partly) led to all the 24 divers become infected. I will post a link here if I get any information about that.

Hi,

The first mistake you made was believing the flawed PCR test positive result as the PCR test produces false positives that makes authorities think they are sick when they are not.

Even the inventor of the PCR test Nobel prize winner Dr Kary Mullis said the PCR test should NOT be used for testing for infectious diseases. i.e the Coronavirus family.

Re: Rapid roll out of SARS-CoV-2 antibody testing—a concern

Covid PCR test reliability doubtful – Portugal judges

Covid-19: Tests on students are highly inaccurate, early findings show

So for your own peace of mind make sure you are not being tested for Coronivirus with the PCR test or your nightmares may just start in Covid concentration camp due to no fault of your own.

I have an Emperor Maldives liveaboard scheduled for May. I would prefer to delay it until after I have the vaccine...but I've already paid for the liveaboard. I'm not impossibly wealthy, and just "tossing" 5000 dollars is a hard pill to swallow. This is something people who are blaming people for traveling during a pandemic should consider as well.

We all would have been a lot better off if we tried to "kill" this thing in March last year, before it spread (like they did in China). We could have paid huge stimulus to people to stay home, and economically it would have paid off, versus one year of ... this.

edit: just to clarify...to be honest, I want to delay the trip to 2022. But if they don't allow it, and I have to choose between going this year, or losing all the money...I honestly am not sure what I'll do yet.

Hi,

The first mistake you made was believing the flawed PCR test positive result as the PCR test produces false positives that makes authorities think they are sick when they are not.

Even the inventor of the PCR test Nobel prize winner Dr Kary Mullis said the PCR test should NOT be used for testing for infectious diseases. i.e the Coronavirus family.

So for your own peace of mind make sure you are not being tested for Coronivirus with the PCR test or your nightmares may just start in Covid concentration camp due to no fault of your own.

WOW, what a statement.

I have an Emperor Maldives liveaboard scheduled for May. I would prefer to delay it until after I have the vaccine...but I've already paid for the liveaboard. I'm not impossibly wealthy, and just "tossing" 5000 dollars is a hard pill to swallow. This is something people who are blaming people for traveling during a pandemic should consider as well.

We all would have been a lot better off if we tried to "kill" this thing in March last year, before it spread (like they did in China). We could have paid huge stimulus to people to stay home, and economically it would have paid off, versus one year of ... this.

edit: just to clarify...to be honest, I want to delay the trip to 2022. But if they don't allow it, and I have to choose between going this year, or losing all the money...I honestly am not sure what I'll do yet.

I would contact Alexander Bryant, one of the shareholders of Emperor Maldives.
https://www.facebook.com/alexander.bryant.77/

I would explain him my concerns, especially in the light of this situation and ask for a re-booking date.

Hi,

Are you sure sure you are not mixing up PCR and rapid antibody tests? Because the links you posted regard to those kind of rapid test methods.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom