Covid-19 infection on a liveaboard at the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are in over your depth here @Oliver Ohlendorf It is very difficult, if not impossible, to justify travel itineraries at this time. If you wanted to justify your own travel choices, you should not have brought this example, for all of us to criticize.

And this this is a really good idea? Economic pressure is one thing, good judgement is another. Much of this has to do with whether the host country has allowed access yet.

Well everyone has to decide that for themself. I did definitely not post the article to engage with people who want to explain how dangerous international travel was, some of the opinions clearly lacking information and knowledge in the matter. I have done my own research and made my own opinion that I will not change without real good arguments.

But since I did not come here to collect arguments against travel (should be subject of another post) I really do not understand why someone would keep arguing with me.

I hope my post will eventually help someone with the information it shares.

I am out of this discussion.

#MUTE MODE ON

Announce_departure.jpg

It is clearly a false claim that international travel increases the infection numbers.

This statement is inaccurate. Viral pandemics happen because people move around. It was true during world war 1, and it's true today.

This statement is inaccurate. Viral pandemics happen because people move around. It was true during world war 1, and it's true today.

I am referring to the current situation not the pre-pandemic in early 2020 when appropriate measures could have slowed (stopped) the spread. Most restrictions are implemented too late and/or completely inappropriately.
Besides this unfortunately people are "moving around" all the time, not only for "recreational reasons". And especially the people who are travelling because of their jobs are exempt from many (most) Covid prevention measures as isolation and quarantine, but even testing.

More important would be that people follow the rules of life with pandemic. This is NOT going away with the vaccine within 2021! You as an MD should know this!

I am referring to the current situation not the pre-pandemic in early 2020 when appropriate measures could have slowed (stopped) the spread. Most restrictions are implemented too late and/or completely inappropriately.
Besides this unfortunately people are "moving around" all the time.

More important would be that people follow the rules of life with pandemic. This is NOT going away with the vaccine within 2021!

Moving around increases viral transmission in any population of animals. Which increases mutations, hospitalizations and deaths. Full stop.

It's really that simple. It has nothing to do with rules, policies, economies, or vaccines. Those things also affect transmission rates. That doesn't mean that moving around no longer does.

[Mod edit]

I have been on 2 liveaboards (to Cocos last month on Okeanos Aggressor 1 & to Socorro last week on Nautilus Belle Amie). They followed the COVID-19 protocols while we were on the boat. We were all PCR tested negative. I felt I was in a COVID-19 free environment while in the boats. I won’t feel the same if I were in a day-boat, where everyone packed together and without knowing whether divers besides me were COVID-19 free or not.

Costa Rica does not require you to have negative PCR test, unless you go to Cocos, then you need to get negative PCR test within 7 days before boarding the boat. That test costed me $130/swab. So, I and the other guests and especially the crews wanted to make sure we would be COVID-19 free during the trip. Our body temperatures were measured everyday. For the first few days I made sure to wear mask whenever social distancing wasn’t possible. Actually I felt less safe when I arrived in IAH. An overweight guy, in front of me, while waiting in line to go through the Global Entry immigration booth, turned around and started to talk to me with his mask on his chin.

Mexico also does not require you to have negative COVID-19 test, however Nautilus required you to get negative PCR test within 7 days before boarding. In addition to that, Nautilus gave me a body temperature log sheet that I required to fill out twice a day for 7 days prior to boarding. While on the boat, they continually measured everyone (the crew and the guest) body temperatures and recorded the numbers on a log sheet.

When it came to the meal time, they controlled the number of guests in the dining room by dividing us into 2 groups of 10 guests, so we can spread out while eating. Group 1 would eat first for 45 minutes, then was asked to vacate the room so group 2 could get their turn to eat. The meals were served by the waiters. No buffet.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please refrain from bickering. We should be grateful to see this report and the OP has done a favour for us all by bringing it here.

Further, it is no longer necessary for any to be pointing out that the OP said he was going to leave the thread.

The OP is under no obligation to leave the thread nor stay as he chooses. Any other poster making noises about that will be deleted including those members of Staff who are posting here in their own status as general members only. Please conduct yourselves accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom