Sidemount with Console Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone. At the moment cost is the issue, I wasn't clear that it see this as an interim solution. Will be getting a Perdix and use my two SPG routed down (not lollypopped) the tank once I can spare the cash. Have tried selling the PPX but there isn't much interest at a price that I would need.

if you don’t need the air integration, you can look for a used Petrel. Bigger than the Perdix, but you might be able to find one for $400 or so.

Would like to jump in here. I’m new to SM, 15 dives. Instructor had me w/spg pointing back along cyl. I’m struggling with positioning of SPG and my transmitters, wanting the redundancy. My mk25 first stages have only 2 HP ports, almost opposite each other. Pic attached. I prefer my AI transmitters but find that the transmitter pointing directly forward is awkward and unsafe position, have bumped it multiple times. I am reading on SB that some folks ditch the spg and just use the transmitters, which would free up the rear port. Am i answering my own question?
1209686C-282C-4C00-8346-C1CBCABE5465.jpeg

Would like to jump in here. I’m new to SM, 15 dives. Instructor had me w/spg pointing back along cyl. I’m struggling with positioning of SPG and my transmitters, wanting the redundancy. My mk25 first stages have only 2 HP ports, almost opposite each other. Pic attached. I prefer my AI transmitters but find that the transmitter pointing directly forward is awkward and unsafe position, have bumped it multiple times. I am reading on SB that some folks ditch the spg and just use the transmitters, which would free up the rear port. Am i answering my own question?View attachment 639130
Yes. Ditch the SPG or ditch the transmitter. If you’re hellbent on something else, add a pony gauge to the top and it’ll dig in less than the transmitter will.

Would like to jump in here. I’m new to SM, 15 dives. Instructor had me w/spg pointing back along cyl. I’m struggling with positioning of SPG and my transmitters, wanting the redundancy. My mk25 first stages have only 2 HP ports, almost opposite each other. Pic attached. I prefer my AI transmitters but find that the transmitter pointing directly forward is awkward and unsafe position, have bumped it multiple times. I am reading on SB that some folks ditch the spg and just use the transmitters, which would free up the rear port. Am i answering my own question?View attachment 639130
Who was the instructor? I personally run my transmitter on the bottom with no SPG if you are that worried about having a backup then get a button SPG. Lets face it anyways if one of them fail its time to call the dive and if you follow gas management you should be 100% okay to go and not risk an issue. I have never had my transmitters fail on me.

I you want to use transmitters, then remove the SPGs. No reason to have both. You can keep the SPGs in your regulator bag. Having a transmitter fail will end the dive, but with basic gas management, that should not cause any issues as you make your way to the surface. Replace the transmitters with your SPGs and then continue diving until the transmitter is repaired.

Yes, I am tending to agree. Thank you for your input.
When it’s your birthday change out the transmitter battery. Supposedly they last 5 years or something according to shearwater but better to be safe with the annual change.

I used button spgs on top with my transmitters pointing down until the second time one got hung up in my shoulder dring. with a couple of double enders sharing the space it was a bitch to get it out the second time. Never again. If I had to have it I would use a short hose and bungee it down to the valve. I don't use an spg backup. This leads me to the other thing I'd like to mention.

Transmitter batteries do go down and when they do, they will drop out signal intermittently at first. I have replaced my batteries twice so far in the last month. I have had 65 hours underwater in that time and while I try to depressurize the regs when not diving to limit time on the batteries, they still go down. I got my batteries from amazon and they are not as high a voltage as I'd prefer from a new battery but they still last about 50 hours before dropouts start to occur. When this happens, I don't end the dive. I know how much gas is in the bottle within a few bar. I will breathe on that bottle and note the time and depth. My dive plan will tell me pretty close where I will end up. Allowing for a prudent reserve I will switch to the side with a working signal when I need to in order to hold enough get home gas in case the working side fails. Typically the signal will pop in and let me know what is actually in the "blind" bottle along the way. Prudent decisions must be made to ensure contingencies are met but just ending the dive because of a dropped signal from a transmitter seems like a pretty strong reaction when using fully redundant systems.

If I was unable to do these calculations easily in my head along the way I would want to use backup spgs because my dives are pretty long and the batteries can get weak along the way. Yesterday was almost 4 hours. Today was almost 3.

I used button spgs on top with my transmitters pointing down until the second time one got hung up in my shoulder dring. with a couple of double enders sharing the space it was a bitch to get it out the second time. Never again. If I had to have it I would use a short hose and bungee it down to the valve. I don't use an spg backup. This leads me to the other thing I'd like to mention.

Transmitter batteries do go down and when they do, they will drop out signal intermittently at first. I have replaced my batteries twice so far in the last month. I have had 65 hours underwater in that time and while I try to depressurize the regs when not diving to limit time on the batteries, they still go down. I got my batteries from amazon and they are not as high a voltage as I'd prefer from a new battery but they still last about 50 hours before dropouts start to occur. When this happens, I don't end the dive. I know how much gas is in the bottle within a few bar. I will breathe on that bottle and note the time and depth. My dive plan will tell me pretty close where I will end up. Allowing for a prudent reserve I will switch to the side with a working signal when I need to in order to hold enough get home gas in case the working side fails. Typically the signal will pop in and let me know what is actually in the "blind" bottle along the way. Prudent decisions must be made to ensure contingencies are met but just ending the dive because of a dropped signal from a transmitter seems like a pretty strong reaction when using fully redundant systems.

If I was unable to do these calculations easily in my head along the way I would want to use backup spgs because my dives are pretty long and the batteries can get weak along the way. Yesterday was almost 4 hours. Today was almost 3.
Questions.... What transmitter are you using? Have you contacted the company and told them off the issue? Having to replace your battery on a transmitter twice in one month should not be with a fully working unit, sounds like either the battery or the unit is messed up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom