Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, that was in post #49 too.
I've got trips planned to Dominica and Statia in June.....and there is no way currently to get a PCR test on those islands before flying home. Looking not so good. I get my first vaccination shot tomorrow...but vaccinations are not acceptable to the CDC.

Quick response by Bonaire to the CDC all-flyers order--both PCR and rapid antigen testing available for departing visitors, and they will come to your hotel if you want to pay for it. PCR Testing on Bonaire Available for Visitors | InfoBonaire Tursiops, Dominica the same, perhaps? Where can I have a PCR test done in the Dominican Republic with results 48 to 72 hours before the trip back to my country? - Dr Travel Center
To my knowledge, Dominica (not the Dominican Republic) has nothing yet.

Things may be turning the corner in Bonaire. Today there were just 4 new cases, but also 4 recoveries, so the number of active cases is constant at 113. Bonaire Insider provides a translation of the Lt Governor's speech yesterday, and that of the head of the Health Department. Much optimism. Flights to begin again from the US and Canada, places like Buddy Dive making preparations to get their guests PCR test so they can return home, local vaccinations beginning next month. All good.
My tracking of daily new cases, 3-day average is here:
upload_2021-1-16_12-25-28.png

Today an official announcement came out trying to alert customers that ate at a specific snack shop over a week long period. It's pretty near the church which was the center of the latest cluster and one of their employees is positive for Covid. I guess we will see how that goes in the next week or so.

The way the church event worked was a singer came from Curacao. He sang in the church and then at a party after, where he walked around and sang at each table. He was the patient zero for that cluster. Oh, and the entire WEB (water and electric utility) office is closed for a couple of days because one of their office workers is positive.
This is a classic spread pattern. Singing is known to be a problem. What were they thinking?

That it wouldn’t happen to them specifically?

I don't think they can do this without The Netherlands providing the vaccine.
They're installing the freezers this week. We should have vaccines in two weeks. The first ones will be the Pfizer product. They are installing a freezer for the Moderna one even though it hasn't been officially approved for use by the Netherlands.

Back
Top Bottom