Turks and Caicos on Aggressor II liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Am thinking about a trip Jan 29-Feb 5th on Aggressor II to Turks and Caicos. I've never been to Turks & Caicos, don't know how it is as far as quality of diving? Has anyone been there who would care to give me their review?

Turks & Caicos Aggressor II Report Apr. 2018 - Turks & Caicos Aggressor II 4/21-4/28 Trip Report
Turks & Caicos Research Notes - Turks & Caicos Research Notes

In a nutshell, glad I went, enjoyed it, overall preferred my Belize and Cayman Aggressor trips, but I'm glad I got to round them out with a Turks & Caicos trip. Speaking of which, 'Turks and Caicos' pretty much means 'Caicos.' You don't generally dive Grand Turk on such a trip. Grand Turk seems to be its own (land-based) destination.

Ya...I just got back 2 week ago. Dove with Explorer Ventures. Water temp was a little cool I brought both my 3mm and 5mm. The 5 worked out great stowed the three. Air temp was great. We got lucky hardly any wind at all compared to the week before us I was told. This was my second time in 5 months in September the diving was fantastic with plenty of sea life and Caribbean sharks. This time around sea life seemed to be non existent. There were even fewer sharks around. But i did notice one thing that caught my eye. I did see many more lion fish this time around and I'm wondering if that could be the problem with the lack of sea life. I didn't even take my camera on any of the dives.

The captain we had was the same one in September and I ask him about the lion fish population and he kind of shrugged it off as if wasn't problem. Which I found odd considering the things eat 60% of their body weight every day. And eat anything.

Anyway it was still a good time just stay away from political talk! I had to remind people that were are on vacation and please give it a rest. I had walk away from the dinner table a couple of times.

I haven't been there yet. It was on my list of places to go at some point. T&C was hit by both Hurricanes Irma and Maria in September 2017. I don't know how well the reef and sea life has recovered, so I've put off going there for a couple more years at least. Other posters who've been there since the hurricanes will give you good information. As UberDave mentioned above, the lionfish population is growing and that may be part of the problem and perhaps that's why the T&C Aggressor II is selling their trips Jan-April for $999.

One thing about TCI that you should be aware of when booking your trip is that the waters tend to be very "sharky". Some people like myself might view this as a HUGE positive while others might see this as a reason to stay out of the water.

Either way, just know that you will likely see friendly and somewhat curious Caribbean Reef Sharks and/or Nurse sharks every day and on some days, possibly on every dive.

I know Aggressor is running some great deals right now, so I would look around. I have done the T&C Aggressor and it was my least favorite aggressor trip to this point. It wasnt a bad trip, just very average in a lot of ways. Belize, for me, was a much-much better experience. However, for the price they are offering right now, I would say go for it.

I read on a TCI website that tourists are advised to exchange money before coming to the islands. I have no idea where do to this. What have you done about money exchange?

I didn't and hadn't heard that. If you fly in, taxi to boat, return, tax to airport and depart, I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Are you planning to take a couple of extra days to do topside things in Provo. or something?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom