Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi! Been reading the boards "lurking" for a while, but I really needed to ask something soon. I have a Bare Sentry, with the SI Quick Cuff factory installed on it for changing silicone seals. I just bought the Ultima system, and as I tried to change it out, it seems that the ridged section that goes in the suit is too short to even reach the ridges that hold my SI Quick Cuff in there. At first, I was confused and thought that I needed to even insert that rubber cosmetic band (that's already on the piece, not the two you add later) into the sleeve, because there's nothing for it to catch onto. Eventually, I gave up and tried to see how it would fit without a seal, and my inner sleeve ridges were too wide and too deep into the sleeve for the Ultima to catch onto anything.

I saw this advice for those with the oval system:
The ring glued into your suit is essentially the PU ring from the Si-Tech QCS oval wrist system. You can definitely switch to the Ultima DGS.

Just pop out the rigid oval ring from the Ellipse (with the orange o-ring), and mount the seal on the rigid round ring of the Ultima DGS and press into place.
-Z

But I can't see any way I can switch systems without taking apart the system I have and gluing something else in, and that seems a shame on a brand new suit.
I suspect I'll end up returning the ultima, but didn't want to do so until the sagacious minds of the board had a chance to tell me I'm missing some easy fix to make the Ultima adapt to the deeper, wider cavity that holds the quick cuff.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
--AD

Oh, and if I return the Ultima, I'll probably use SI's Quick Glove. I bought the ultima on the strong recommendation of friends, who don't love the SI system. Is it really that much better?

Hi! Been reading the boards "lurking" for a while, but I really needed to ask something soon. I have a Bare Sentry, with the SI Quick Cuff factory installed on it for changing silicone seals. I just bought the Ultima system, and as I tried to change it out, it seems that the ridged section that goes in the suit is too short to even reach the ridges that hold my SI Quick Cuff in there. At first, I was confused and thought that I needed to even insert that rubber cosmetic band (that's already on the piece, not the two you add later) into the sleeve, because there's nothing for it to catch onto. Eventually, I gave up and tried to see how it would fit without a seal, and my inner sleeve ridges were too wide and too deep into the sleeve for the Ultima to catch onto anything.

I saw this advice for those with the oval system:

But I can't see any way I can switch systems without taking apart the system I have and gluing something else in, and that seems a shame on a brand new suit.
I suspect I'll end up returning the ultima, but didn't want to do so until the sagacious minds of the board had a chance to tell me I'm missing some easy fix to make the Ultima adapt to the deeper, wider cavity that holds the quick cuff.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
--AD

If you have the Si-Tech Quick Cuff then you have their larger profile "round" cuff system as opposed to their lower profile oval system (Si-Tech QCS oval). The Ultima DGS is not compatible at all with the round Quick Cuff system.

Earlier in this discussion thread there is a post by @divezonescuba who posted a video on how to modify the Quick Cuff to accept the Rolock 3 dryglove system. It will involve trimming the rings you have glued into your suit.

If you have the Si-Tech Quick Glove setup then that will work with your Quick Cuff system....but if you have not purchased the Quick Glove then I would recommend using the Si-Tech Glove Lock system instead as it is designed to integrate with the Quick Cuff and is more secure and less problematic than the Quick Glove ring system.

-Z

If you have the Si-Tech Quick Cuff then you have their larger profile "round" cuff system as opposed to their lower profile oval system (Si-Tech QCS oval). The Ultima DGS is not compatible at all with the round Quick Cuff system.

Earlier in this discussion thread there is a post by @divezonescuba who posted a video on how to modify the Quick Cuff to accept the Rolock 3 dryglove system. It will involve trimming the rings you have glued into your suit.

If you have the Si-Tech Quick Glove setup then that will work with your Quick Cuff system....but if you have not purchased the Quick Glove then I would recommend using the Si-Tech Glove Lock system instead as it is designed to integrate with the Quick Cuff and is more secure and less problematic than the Quick Glove ring system.

-Z

Thank you so much for the reply! After trying to make it fit for a while, I was wondering if I was losing it. I really appreciate the help.

Thank you so much for the reply! After trying to make it fit for a while, I was wondering if I was losing it. I really appreciate the help.

Just to recap what is available for direct fit dryglove systems that will integrate with the Si-Tech Quick Cuff system you have installed in your suit:

1. Si-Tech Quick Glove - this is a compression fit system, held together by a thin o-ring. This dryglove system works but is not highly recommended due to some users reporting it leaking and popping apart on occasion. Your mileage may vary if you choose this system.

2. Si-Tech Glove Lock - this system is a later generation dryglove system for the Quick Cuff wrist system. This system uses a rotating bayonet type locking ring and is more secure than the Si-Tech Quick Glove system.

3. Rolock 3 - this is a dryglove ring system produced by a company based in Switzerland. This system is actually not designed to integrate with the Si-Tech Quick Cuff, as it was designed to be mounted on latex seals that are glued to one's drysuit, but the Si-Tech Quick Cuff ring system can be modified so that the Rolock 3 can integrate with it. This is a good option if one is bold enough to do the modification necessary to make it work (video pasted below).

To my knowledge there are no other glove systems that are designed to directly integrate with the Quick Cuff wrist system. The system can be used with latex gloves stretched over the outside of the cuff system. Some divers prefer this as it is simple and inexpensive. An o-ring can be added to help with glove retention. If you want to explore this further as an option then I suggest starting a new discussion thread.

-Z

Im here from DEEP SOUTH DIVERS YT channel... saw him diving the ultima without seals.. how does he seal the suit side where the rings are mounted? would like to dive a similar setup! Oh and is the system compatible with the showa 282 temres glove?

Best regards and stay healthy,
Simon

You would install the rings as usual, using a sacrificial wrist seal. Once installed cut out the visible portion of the seal. That simple.

As far as the 282's. I Googled a picture. I don't see why you couldn't. However, it will be extremely difficult with that lining it has. IMHO there are much better combinations of gloves for improved dexterity and warmth than that 282. But if you feel the juice is worth the squeeze, have at it.

thanks a lot, so no o-ring combination for the seal...
Ive got the 720R at the moment and im quite happy, but im going ice diving in switzerland so i thought maybe beef it up :D but its only a couple of degrees colder so i guess no biggie

Im here from DEEP SOUTH DIVERS YT channel... saw him diving the ultima without seals.. how does he seal the suit side where the rings are mounted? would like to dive a similar setup! Oh and is the system compatible with the showa 282 temres glove?

Best regards and stay healthy,
Simon

Seajay mounts a set of wrist seals and cuts them back to the rings. The rings will leak without seal material between them, even if one has a glove system attached.

The system should work with the 282 temres gloves, I have seen them mounted on an old set of Diving Concepts ring system which is the predecessor of the Ultima DGS.

The 282 is very similar to the SHOWA 490 gloves...primary difference is the 282 is polyurethane (PU) and the 490 is polyvinyl (PVC).

You may find it difficult to stretch the gloves with the attached liner over the rings with the o-rings that hold them in place...especially the stock o-rings that come with the Ultima system. I also would not recommend the gloves with attached insulating liners as they take a long time to dry if they get wet and they develop nasty odors in time.

If you are interested in a PU or PVC glove then I recommend the SHOWA 495 gloves, it comes with a removable insulating acrylic glove liner/underglove, and should be easier to mount on the rings.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom