OPS Fins – a 20 year old fantasy fulfilled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1B96B226-233C-42D0-B744-60469F3DD7E7.jpeg
She just figured out how to “clip my wings” - I am now only to use my Rip Force for snorkeling.

my rip force are pre-adjustable and pre-whiskers. That and the Hockey Force that is the same size are killer fins, people are amazed what I can do with a fin that small

I have the longer Hockey Force and they could not be beat for normal diving where I might encounter currents and they were great for taking pictures. But now 90% of my diving is at the Pier in 25 ft of calm water and my aging legs have a hard time loading them up.

I bought the Rip Force to use for exercise swimming in the lake in Tennessee several years ago but since we added a pool, I now use a pair of Swim Force Fins for laps. But I love how the Rip Force perform, especially with the Whiskers. They may be a better surface swimming fine than the OPS.

I never liked the Hockey Force for surface swimming - not a good snorkeling fin. I brought the Rip Force down to the island originally figuring it would make a great snorkel fin. Admittedly, to this point I have not tried them because the OPS Fins showed up and seem to be capable of doing it all. Since my wife loves snorkeling more than diving now, we snorkel 1-2 times per week but only dive every other week. I will try them to see if we can "balance" the speed issue but have a feeling that I may have to learn to sloooowww down with the OPS and keep the Rip Force for guests - or for exercise in the ocean..

The idea of the really large perpendicular surfaces for more direction of thrust is interesting, and probably also good for reverse frog kick.
jcp2 took this picture today for you. Here you can see how I twisted the foils. We all understand a Frog kick, used it while diving in Jet Fins for 20 years. Over the years we battled Force fins did not Frog Kick well. Some divers could Frog kick well and others could not. Then one day while working on Force Fin Split fin designs and being able to rotate a fin blade I discover this position for Frog Kicking with out twisting my legs and fins. Just a side out and in moved me quickly. Not sure how the water flowed rolled but it worked. This picture is of the OPS Blue Tan Delta material un laced of foot pocket. I must always add the SD-1 floats if let go of at 90 feet. But on your foot it is so balanced. Just hangs with out going up or down. Amazing
IMG_4612.jpg-fw.jpg
really

Just a quick update.

Adjustment to the fins adding more "cup" worked well. A little more power for almost no increase in kicking effort.
We snorkeled for over 2 hours and - covering the entire Pier area and I felt I could have kept going (but by that point my wife had gotten chilled, even in a Tri-lam). I learned to "feel" the fins and adjusted my kick so I matched my wife's speed.

These fins are the first I have ever used that feel absolutely "neutral" in the water - no effort to hold them up or down. A pleasant surprise (they are heavy out of the water) that probably added to the lack of tiredness after the snorkeling.

I was a great day and I am going to post a short note in The Lesser Antilles section about all that we saw.

TN your OPS being tested by former owner Jean-Michel Cousteau. Really. Thanks for the post.
a-77-sign.jpg

'Watched Mission Blue on Netflix other day, and saw Sylvia Earle wearing Bob's Fins.

Web search, using Sylvia Earle + Force Fins yielded:

"I love my Force Fins, which are the kind of fins Special Forces use and really are adapted from the fins of fish. They're very efficient. They are so beautiful, a pair is in the Museum of Modern Art. The set I have are ruby red. I call them my ruby flippers."
Sylvia Earle
upload_2021-2-7_20-9-52.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom