Dive plans for 2021 during Covid-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on that my diving occurs when I travel to an island or Mexico and that travel is almost always using our timeshare, this is what is happening with me:

1. Won't travel without a vaccination. Even though I'd still be social distancing, I would like to know that travelers from around the world, that I could be in contact with, have been vaccinated.

2. I'm not laying out money for trips that are uncertain. As an example, I could book Grand Cayman (one of the 2 week 2020 trips we had to cancel) for just about anytime this year, but with changing guidelines, and especially with their 2 week quarantine in place, I'm not going to plan/PAY for a trip based on hope that things will be better by a certain time. On the other hand, I did have to book a few timeshare trips for 2021 so we didn't lose any points/money - 1 in the states and two weeks in Coz in Nov/Dec - travel will still depend on conditions at the time and vaccinations. At the worst, if those have to be cancelled, I'll just have to book something else again.

Week in Jamaica in May, then hopefully a long weekend or two during the summer in WPB or the Keys.

I'm going to disagree: I think an open boat deck, with a constant breeze, limited capacity and wearing a mask qualifies as very low risk, of transmitting anything... assuming any of the few other people on the boat even have something to transmit. It's not scenarios like this that are causing the problem in California. Enjoy your diving.
Well, that was my hope, but shortly after I wrote about the precautions I was taking, I came down with a cold. I tested negative for SARS-COV-2, and also for strep bacteria (first and worst symptom was a sore throat), so it must be a virus. A virus that's probably very similar to The Virus, maybe even a different kind of coronavirus, probably spread in much the same way. It's just my dumb luck it happened to be a lesser one.

Everything that puts us in proximity to other humans is a risk. Some risks are necessary, some are justifiable, and a lot of them are in a gray area. For those of us who aren't especially concerned for our own health should we be exposed, how much sacrifice we owe our fellow citizens is not an easy question to answer. It's not even an easy question to consider objectively. (Cuz I wanna go to Farnsworth, damnit!)

Ten days in Hawaii, Oct.-Nov. 2020, another ten days there next month. Pity the Belize trip was necessarily postponed.

As much diving as the boss lady will let me get away with. I now live in SW Florida so I am in the same boat as @JimBlay (not literally yet but hope to be one day).

I just came back from Cocos in last December and Socorro, a few days ago. All is well. I just followed the COVID-19 protocols. No biggy. Treated everyone as if they had the virus, i.e., wear mask, social distancing, wash hands often, etc. So far, so good. Fingers crossed!

I have 9 more trips lined up for this year due to rescheduling of the cancelled trips from last year and those that I already booked prior to the pandemic mess. Now I just need to manage these trips carefully, like walking across land mines. LOL

Here’s my 2021 dive trips:
1. Socorro in Jan - just finished
2. Belize in Feb - booked in Jan 2020
3. Maldives in Mar - booked in Jan 2021
4. Tiger Beach in Apr - 11/19 rescheduled
5. Socorro in May - booked in Sep 2019
6. Malpelo in July - booked in Jan 2020
7. Sangalaki in Aug - booked in Aug 2019
8. Cocos in Sep - 9/20 rescheduled
9. Guadalupe in Oct - 7/20 rescheduled
10. Galápagos in Nov - 5/20 rescheduled

I just came back from Cocos in last December and Socorro, a few days ago. All is well. I just followed the COVID-19 protocols. No biggy. Treated everyone as if they had the virus, i.e., wear mask, social distancing, wash hands often, etc. So far, so good. Fingers crossed!. . . .

Did you get tested before and after Cocos and Socorro? Did everyone everywhere on your travels also follow all the protocols? I would think that's the only way to be certain it is "so far, so good"--that you didn't pick up and transmit the virus to others while traveling. It is my understanding the protocols reduce the risk of transmission, but not to zero. And they only work if everyone is following them. I may be great at following protocols, but it's other people I am concerned about.

Did you get tested before and after Cocos and Socorro? Did everyone everywhere on your travels also follow all the protocols? I would think that's the only way to be certain it is "so far, so good"--that you didn't pick up and transmit the virus to others while traveling. It is my understanding the protocols reduce the risk of transmission, but not to zero. And they only work if everyone is following them. I may be great at following protocols, but it's other people I am concerned about.

Yes. Both destination required negative PCR swab test, which costed me $130 each. Nautilus even add another requirement to monitor and log our body temperatures twice a day on a sheet provided by them for 7 days prior to boarding. 2020-12-22-COVID19-Notice-1.pdf (nautilusliveaboards.com)

Yes. Everyone there follow all the protocols. Even during meal time when I was in Nautillus Belle Amie, the 20 guests were divided into 2 groups of 10 for social distancing inside dining room while eating. Group 1 ate their meal first, then 45 minutes later was asked to vacate the room so group 2 can have their meal. The crew checked our body temperature and log them everyday during our stay on the boat.

I felt more safe there until I came home. While waiting inline in Global Entry pass through immigration, an overweight guy turned around to face me with his mask on his chin to chat. So I backed off to keep my distance. I almost blurted to him on how he wore his underwear, whether his pecker would be sticking out over his underwear. Welcome home, I said to myself.

@Dan For just those situations pick up some N95’s if you haven’t already. They are more readily available now and provide much better protection than cloth masks, to you and others. I would use these throughout the airport and on the plane along with a bottle of hand sanitizer and not touching your face. On the plane I might also add goggles.

Yes I am obsessive but it has kept me Covid 19 free for nearly a year despite evaluating and treating covid suspects and positive patients.

Back
Top Bottom