Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I probably wouldn't buy an expensive watch (dive one or not) even if I were a billionaire. No interest. But, due to losing two and busting one, I'm on my 4th $25 watch. I use it for my shallow shore dives when my computer is not necessary. Basically for my log book data and to know what time it is UW.

i always dive with a watch...usually its a $50 G-shock i keep on my BC inflator hose, but i also wear a Seiko on my wrist occasionally...redundancy never hurt anyone.

they are useful for timing a Safety stop in case of computer malfunction.....can also be used to aid in navigation......or just to make sure you dont miss happy hour.

does it need to be a Rolex?.....no....not at all.....i mean, it will certainly do it just fine......but so will a $50 casio.....that being said, if you want it and can afford it.....get a rolex, you arent going to lose money on it.

although i did just buy a Marathon JSAR, and justified it to myself as "necessary diving equipment"
alxB2SZ.jpg

I had a Rolex stolen in Bermuda. Thieves broken into our room at the Pompano Beach Hotel. $30,000 Rolex gone. Wife lost a Cartier. Insurance paid. I’ve never taken another on a trip. Took our wallsts and passports too. Room on a sheer cliff. Broke in while we were sleeping.

I would love to have a plain Jane Rolex Submariner (no date window, please). I would dive the H--- out of it, too.

Problem is, I can't afford one. I can't even afford the cost of its periodic routine service!

Instead, I wear a much, much, much less expensive "homage", a Steinhart OVM ("Ocean Vintage Military", Review: Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military - Worn & Wound). I wear it daily, and it is my working dive watch. In fact, it's on my right wrist in my avatar.

rx7diver

You can always use a counterfeit Rolex that only costs $200. There are companies that specialize in making high quality counterfeit Rolex watches and they aren't cheap :)
I will be damned if I ever buy anything counterfeit. I value the little hands behind good work too much.

Casio MDV106, about 50 dollars in the USA I believe.

Looks good and properly 200m rated with Casio's Marlin stamp.

I dived mine because I could, just the once. Now I just wear it but I do like a nice watch, which is a shame because I'm quite hard on them.

I'm an estate jeweler and watch dealer so I've had a number of dive watches come through and been able to test them as divers... Here's my take on things...

I always dive with a watch as a backup timer. I set the bezel before descending so I know how long I've been down. Also handy to know the time of day on occasion (My dive computer doesn't show the time of day on it's main screen)

My personal Omega is dive capable but is too expensive to take on trips and too expensive to risk loosing/flooding.
I don't keep Rolex's for personal use as they're too expensive and easy to sell... keeps the money flowing.

I have a Tissot Sea Touch... what a pain in the ass to use, even above water. Been trying to sell it for years.

I have a Citizen Eco ProMaster Depth Diver. I like the redundancy of both a timer and depth gauge but the big problem with these is keeping it charged, You have to keep it in the light to maintain the charge. This is fine if you wear it daily (it's a bit bulky for that) and dive often but for occasional use it's a bit of a pain. A couple of times I've forgotten to take it out of the dive bag when I get home and it doesn't maintain enough of a charge to operate the depth gauge the next time I'm going diving. Takes a long while in the sun to get up to dive level charge.

Then a Seiko Prospex (PADI branded) came in one day... favourite dive watch of the lot. Small enough to wear as a daily, non-blingy so it's reasonable to take on vacation and even brand new from a dealer it's a three figure watch. When I'm not wearing it it goes on the winder with my Eternamatic, Omega and Tudor so it stays wound and running.

My daily is another Citizen Eco (but with daily time sync to the atomic clock in CO). I use this one so I always know the precise time and use it to set all my mechanicals lol. Four watches on the winder and after a couple of weeks they all have a different idea of the time. It's not dive rated but I did forget one day and wore it to the bottom of Angelita... not a problem.

I'll stick to an automatic Seiko for diving from now on. Great quality, safe to travel with, reasonable purchase/resale price point and is as sturdy as anything from Rolex or Omega.

If you like the submariner and have the funds go out and buy one and enjoy it.
It is on my list of watches I would love to own one day. Just too expensive for me.
Until recently I was using my Omega Planet Ocean dive watch, but I have decided to not dive with it any more. It’s my daily watch and I love it. for diving going forward I will use my dive computer only.
However, my Seiko Orange Monster goes well with my Deep6 Eddy fins!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom