Reel for Dive flag/Surface Marker Buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manta (at least mine) releases way too easily as the "trigger" is the entire handle. I need some way stronger springs in it to make me like it for this use. Keep in mind, my use is riding in a 3+ kt current drift diving the Niagara River.

Scope. That's what we call the angle of the dangle from the float to the anchor. Only, in this case, there is no anchor. You're as free floating as your buoy, so there's little to no scope. From my limited experience (diving since 1969) and diving this specific reel, i wouldn't trust it below 130fsw or above three knots. :D :D :D Yes, I've tested it to at least those limits.

To be real, if I'm diving deeper than that, then I'm usually out of Florida territorial waters and will be diving a sausage with a 100 ft spool. I usually shoot it off when I pass 80fsw on my way to my next stop. If I feel a need to set it off deeper, than that, then I clip the next reel's double-ender over the line, so it starts deploying when the first reel gets to the end. Yes, I always splash with two or more spools when I go deep.

But this is in Basic Scuba, so we only need concern ourselves with recreational limits and I have had the same reel, now on its third flag, for over 20 years. It's been dropped, kicked, knocked about, never rinsed and it's better than any Bic I've owned. I don't think it's ever birdnested on me or the many students who learned to drag a flag with it.

FWIW, I own a number of fancy reels, but they rarely see anything but spring water. :D :D :D

Used this setup for years. 100 feet of line with knots every 10 feet so that I knew how much line was out. Snap connector on the end for attaching to the float.
Worked great for me !!

Divegoose

DSCN3646.JPG

I have often had out more than 150' of line while drift diving in SE Florida in brisk current and relatively deep depths. The Manta Jr comes loaded with 250' of #24 nylon line. The DGX Dacron line I use is said to be stronger than #36 nylon and a little thinner than #24. I would imagine I have something around 300' on my reel.

I have often had out more than 150' of line while drift diving in SE Florida in brisk current and relatively deep depths. The Manta Jr comes loaded with 250' of #24 nylon line. The DGX Dacron line I use is said to be stronger than #36 nylon and a little thinner than #24. I would imagine I have something around 300' on my reel.
That is out of our league.....Just some senior citizen easy shallow dives! I started diving back in 1977 but had to take a 14 year break in 2007 till now

That is out of our league.....Just some senior citizen easy shallow dives! I started diving back in 1977 but had to take a 14 year break in 2007 till now
Ha, you're a young whippersnapper, I'll be 67 next Monday. I started diving in 1970, also when I was 16, and took a 17 year break from 1980-1997. I've been going pretty strong since, 1972 dives, 1954 hours.

I hope you have many good years of diving left :)

Back
Top Bottom