OPS Fins – a 20 year old fantasy fulfilled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is what they looked like 2005. Bat wings for water flow control.
IMG_4590-fw.jpg

SD-1 Excellerator, hmmm you may have peaked my interest with that

Mine too.

The idea of the really large perpendicular surfaces for more direction of thrust is interesting, and probably also good for reverse frog kick.

That is very interesting! I like the idea of 2 straps on the these ^ vs the single of the adjustable from a security and stability/power perspective, but that may not be "correct" as the adjustables have the PU coming up on the sides.

The orange ones look like F-FF prototypes with the bent tips vs. the black ones in the box.

Is the lacing of the foot pocket to fin done with paracord? I'm thinking there is a real opportunity to have weight plates slid between the fin and pocket to tune trim for foot-light folks while keeping the mass in the un-flexed area to minimize fatigue unlike, say, heavy jets. Probably a couple pieces of 3/16" SS would solve my floaty feet in doubles, dry.

The idea of the really large perpendicular surfaces for more direction of thrust is interesting, and probably also good for reverse frog kick.
I would SO love to find the combination with the great flutter performance of the FFs that also is suitable for Frog/Back. I really never got to truly try my XL Hockeys, although I suspect they would be the best of the various FFs as they are the flattest. It seems my footwear change jumped me from L+ (I could just squeeze into Ls with thin wetboots) to at least XXL.

My one concern with relying on the wiskers/batwings for Back is that areas that backkick-ability is more important are also those where the wiskers/batwings could present a line-entanglement hazard (caves or wrecks)

For these old legs, i would probably do as well kicking a 3 ft long piece of 2"x10" lumber. :wink::wink:

Maybe if I was 20 years younger. :)

But great for the younger set.

Your right. You would like the rotating foils on the OPS foot pocket. Twisting the inside blade allowed a Frog kick without doing a Frog kick. Just by moving your legs in and out powered you forward easily. Really was cool. These photos show equal foil opening. Several positions to full opening. Now imagine just one Foil twisted side ways...anyway hope you get the point. Thanks for your interest and comments. All this came out of the worlds first Split Force Fin desings.
hh-5-clean-resized.jpg
ff-49.jpg
ff-50.jpg

Just so you know Bob, I am in trouble and so are you. Went snorkeling with Cindy and for the first time ever I was out in front. She normally is faster than I am but with the OPS blades I was swimming away from her with no extra effort.

She always liked the foot pocket because it works with and without boots (comfort Inserts are great ) and is now impressed with performance (she tried standard Foils, but they were too soft). She never could get comfortable with standard Force Fins but hates that the OPS blades leave her “behind “. Since she is a split fin lover you may have to find me small launch pads with those rotating foils (probably in Tan Delta). :poke: (gotta keep the boss happy)

Just so you know Bob, I am in trouble and so are you. Went snorkeling with Cindy and for the first time ever I was out in front. She normally is faster than I am but with the OPS blades I was swimming away from her with no extra effort.

She always liked the foot pocket because it works with and without boots (comfort Inserts are great ) and is now impressed with performance (she tried standard Foils, but they were too soft). She never could get comfortable with standard Force Fins but hates that the OPS blades leave her “behind “. Since she is a split fin lover you may have to find me small launch pads with those rotating foils (probably in Tan Delta). :poke: (gotta keep the boss happy)
Yep, must keep the BOSS happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom