Siebe Gorman Mistral and Scubapro Pilot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdavo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I picked up a box of old scuba equipment yesterday, including a couple of vintage regulators. I was looking for a double hose that I could fix up and dive, probably a Mistral or Aquamaster. It turns out that I bought a first build Siebe Gorman Mistral (thanks John for helping me ID it) and a Scubapro Mk5 and Pilot with console.

How usable is the SG Mistral? Are service parts still available? I also have a line on a late production Aqualung Royal Aquamaster that seems like it may be an easier regulator for me to fix up and use. I like the looks of the phoenix first stage upgrade from vintagedoublehose.com.

I see that there are some passionate Scubapro Pilot owners on this forum. If I decide not to keep it, any recommendation on where I should list it for sale and how much I should ask for it?

Attachments

• PXL_20210117_192840072.jpg
    PXL_20210117_192840072.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 191
  • PXL_20210117_192710241.jpg
    PXL_20210117_192710241.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 161
Regarding the Pilot value. Yours looks to be in good shape and in original condition, not converted with AIR1 parts. I have purchased around 10 original Pilot second stages from auction sites over the years, they can be found for under $100 with patience and luck. When someone knows what they have and prices it accordingly, I see Pilots in decent shape selling in the range of $150 to $200. Sometimes more on a Pilot that is confirmed to be in working condition and polishes up nicely without much in the way of dings or scratches.

I imagine a for sale listing here on Scubaboard would result in a sale, or put it on Ebay with starting bid of $150 and see how high it goes.

Here's a picture of the SG Mistral mounted on a set of twin Norris 55s.

Attachments

• PXL_20210118_002718613.jpg
    PXL_20210118_002718613.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 168
I have not had one in my hands but I did find some info on them. The basic design is the same as the USD and La Spiro Mistrals but there is no telling if the basic parts like the HP seat or diaphragm will fit. Bryan at VDH may be able to help you there. According to the manual, as I suspected, many of the threads are BA (not metric or imperial) so you have to be careful not to lose any screws, finding a replacement is going to be difficult, do not try a metric or imperial substitute. The main body threads on the La Spiro are metric and with some BA screws in the SG, I would bet the main body threads are Whitworth. Another issue with the La Spiro's that may be an issue with these is the body of the reg where it interfaced with the tank is slightly larger than it's US cousins and would not fit in some US tanks. The body had to be trimmed down slightly to allow it to fit in all US tanks. I don't know if that will be an issue with a SG Mistral but worth knowing about.

My recommendation would be to set it aside for now and find a USD reg to rebuild. All the parts you need for it are available and plenty of us have a lot of experience rebuilding them so help is easy to find.

Thanks for the info @herman . I picked up a Royal Aquamaster last night. It appears to have a long yoke, but did not come with an SPG banjo. General appearance is fair. The body clamp ring has been replaced with box clips, unfortunately. Picture attached.

You looking for a royal. Maybe a trade for the Pilot. I have one for trade.PM if interested.

@Mike Lev please post a couple pictures of the RAM you're interested in trading for my Pilot. Is it ready to dive? What work has been done to it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210119-080729.png
    Screenshot_20210119-080729.png
    566.7 KB · Views: 123
That's a 70-72 model, internally, it's the same as all other RAM's. The band clamp was an option, not standard equipment on any model. as was the banjo.
If you plan to restore it, I make service tools for the DAAM/RAM.

I may restore it. I would really like to have an Argonaut Kraken or a vintage double hose rig that has been modernized with LP and HP ports, silicone soft parts, and a DSV. I have a small collection of vintage gear that I would trade some combination of for such a setup. I have the following, most of which was discussed in this thread:
  1. Aqualung Royal Aqua Master '70-'72 model.
  2. Siebe Gorman ESS GEE Mistral ~1960
  3. Scubapro Pilot with Mk 5 and original console
  4. Scubapro A.I.R. 1 with Mk 5 and original console
  5. Norris Twin 55s with manifold and bands; out of hydro; had 500 psi in them when I picked them up, but discovered a small neck o-ring leak after handling them
  6. A couple of horse collars

I did my first 200 dives with a Siebe Gorman Mistral in the 60's. It is a very simple single stage regulator. You can buy a set of BA (British Association) taps and dies on the Internet and make any screws you might need for restoration.

Nick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom