DAN or Aquamed???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi LauraPro, one issue to consider with DAN is that their policy stipulates an exclusion for claims "caused or arising from [...] Epidemic and pandemic diseases of any kind." (see Section 4.1.e(v) of their Swiss policy).

This can lead to serious complications when applying for coverage: For instance, if there were logistic complications due to COVID rules (travel restrictions etc.) that worsened the condition, was the condition partly "caused or arising from" COVID, thus leading to a partial exclusion of coverage? I wouldn't want to gamble on the insurer adopting a lenient interpretation. That's why I decided against DAN. Aqua med's policy doesn't have an exclusion of this kind.

In addition, DAN's coverage is subject to an exclusion for trips to countries for which your country's government has issued a travel warning. This can be found in Section 7 of the Swiss terms. The exclusion only applies to residents of an EU or EAA country, so it's not relevant for you. But all other Europeans should take heed, given that many governments have issued travel warnings for a large number of countries and the situation is constantly in flux.

Edit: I realize this may be an odd first post in the forum, but I swear I have no affiliation with Aqua med :D

I used DAN until I moved to Germany 9 years ago and switched to Aquamed since. Nothing to report both are OK, they both took my money. Note that Aquamed apply depth limit based on your training, but they are not too strict on this unless there is a gross negligence.

Aquamed.
Why? because they are in Germany - i know the insurance behind them is Chubb and there are no restrictions regarding countries. I feel better with a company in Germany under German laws. Perhaps a subjective view, but i don't want to have doubts each time i think of my cover.
DAN was the big fish in the pond when i started diving so it would have been natural to go for them as nearly everybody do. But i did not like the idea. Purely subjective, again...
I asked Aquamed at the beginnig of the pandemic if they would still cover us and they gave me a comprehensive, personal answer quite quickly (FR - MO)
Their renewal process is straight and flexible. When our family cards came to expire and i stated that i would not need an insurance in the next months, they made the suggestion to delay the renewal until April 2021, which was fine for us.
Fortunately, i can not report any experience from the field.

i have heard in the last few years , that people have had an awful time with dan i was an instructor for them for years and i bought the insurance .......i haven't been both for years .do an in depth search on them before buying

Having been a proud dan member, when they sent a letter stating that in order to reduce their global impact, they
were deleting the customer pack and physical membership card whilst retaining their original pricing
I cancelled my membership in order to reduce their financial impact on my bank balance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom