Covid testing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These are terrible numbers - truly. And we absolutely should take covid seriously. Another number to consider, which we do absolutely nothing about (other than collect tax dollars) is the annual number of deaths related to tobacco (CDC).
On the one hand, I agree; over the past 20 years I have lost 6 close family members and friends in part or in total to the effects of tobacco use. My dad and my only brother are among them.

On the other hand, however, none of the other causes of death embody the threat to overwhelm the health care systems throughout the world to anywhere near the extent that the COVID-19 pandemic presents. There is an avalanching effect from it that negatively impacts health care for all the rest of the maladies you mention. Three people close to me are undergoing cancer treatment in Houston.

For sure!

See how the numbers in New York and LA have plummeted since all the lockdowns started?

My wife and I both had Covid over Christmas. We joined the 99.98% Covid Survivors Club. Masks didn't keep us from getting it.
I am sorry to hear that you got sick, but none of the measures we are taking to combat the spread of the virus are absolute preventatives; they can only lower the probability of transmission. Your experience is in no way an indication that masking is ineffective. Your recovery (though I am glad it worked out for you) isn't evidence that COVID is no big deal, either.

"If a passenger does not provide documentation of a negative test or recovery, or chooses not to take a test, the airline must deny boarding to the passenger."

So this begs the question 'is a positive antigen test the same as having recovered from covid19?'.

You're not the first one I've seen confuse "antigen" with "antibody" test. But perhaps the first one to admit it.

You're not the first one I've seen confuse "antigen" with "antibody" test. But perhaps the first one to admit it.

(Cue another Beatles song) ... I get by with a little help from my friends! :wink:

I'd really like to be singing "I'd like to be under the sea, in an octopuses garden ..."

Maybe I missed something somewhere, but it looks like a negative test will be required by the airlines - and what Secrets is offering is an on-property antigen test (and saying this is a CDC requirement). Their page offers a link to another page that says you can get a PCR test at an 'International Hospital' for $2599 pesos (about $131). If the airlines decide to recognize the CDC's antigen test requirement as 'good enough' that's great - but if they don't, you're back to having to leave property for a test (with the bonus of the two week quarantine covered).

Coronavirus Disease 2019 Testing Basics

Antigen test is usually "rapid" and is known to be fairly accurate on people with "high viral loads" i.e. you would normally feel sick. For asymptomatic cases: not so much. For that reason many places require a more accurate (and more expensive) PCR test and won't take a "rapid" one.

"Rapid" test should give the check-in agents a legal excuse to turn away the obviously sick people who'll likely infect the entire plane. Which is a good thing but it's about all it really does.

For sure!

See how the numbers in New York and LA have plummeted since all the lockdowns started?

My wife and I both had Covid over Christmas. We joined the 99.98% Covid Survivors Club. Masks didn't keep us from getting it.

I'm happy to hear you survived your bout with Covid-19.

But your math is challenged. Total US deaths to date ~389,000 Total US cases to date 23,400,000

that is a 1.6% fatality rate. You were off by about 3 orders of magnitude (1,000 times for the challenged)

Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain

as the OP for this thread - it is amazing how a question about testing capability in CZM has grown to over 200 posts - most having nothing to do with the original question. Alas - the joys of Scubaboard :)
Perhaps we should expand it to which OP's will handle wetsuits:poke:

We have a trip to PDC planned for early Feb. Our resort has posted this on their website. Hopefully this will become very common.

COVID-19 antigen and PCR tests are available at Royal Resorts
Information for US travelers
Starting on January 26, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will require a negative COVID-19 test for passengers flying into the United States. (This applies even if their final destination is another country but they are on a connecting flight, which first enters the United States.)

To help you comply with this new travel ruling and for your convenience, Royal Resorts will make tests available on site and at special rates for our guests starting January 23. (Please scroll down for details).

International travelers and US citizens will need to have a COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to their departure from Cancun and present documentation of their laboratory test result (written or electronic copy). The test required is the nasal swab (viral antigen test or nucleic acid amplification test). Children aged two and older must also be tested.

Travelers who have been infected with COVID-19 and have recovered during the last three months must show proof of the positive test result and documentation of recovery from a licensed healthcare provider giving them clearance to travel.

There are other details for travelers including an Attestation, for full information we recommend that you visit the CDC website. Federal Register Notice: Requirement for Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test Result or Recovery from COVID-19 for All Airline Passengers Arriving into the United States | Quarantine | CDC

Requirement for Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test or Recovery from COVID-19 for All Air Passengers Arriving in the United States COVID-19 and Your Health

The CDC recommends that all inbound passengers have a repeat test 3 to 5 days after arrival in the United States and stay home for seven days.

New Canadian and United Kingdom COVID-19 travel rules
Canada and the UK now require all inbound travelers to show documentation of a negative laboratory test result to the airline prior to boarding their flight. The test must be performed using a COVID-19 molecular polymerase chain reaction test (PCR test) within 72 hours of their scheduled departure for Canada or the United Kingdom.

Travelers bound for Canada who receive a negative test result and are authorized to enter Canada must still complete the full, mandatory 14-day quarantine. In the case of the United Kingdom all inbound passengers must fill in a passenger locator form and self-isolate for 10 days regardless of the test result.

COVID-19 antigen and PCR tests are available at Royal Resorts
Starting on January 23, independent and authorized medical personnel will be carrying out the antigen nasal swab test in Gran Salon Sisal next to Hacienda Sisal Restaurant. The test is available Monday to Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The cost is $700 pesos per person if paid with Visa, Mastercard or American Express or $750 via PayPal and test results will be ready within 24 hours.

PCR tests will also be available for a cost of US$100 per person.

Please note that the aforementioned prices are exclusively for Royal Resorts members and guests and that tests will be performed as long as they are asymptomatic. Guests showing symptoms must remain in their villa or room and follow the doctor’s instructions.

You will be able to make your test appointment before your arrival; we will give you more details on this in the days to come.

Gran Salón Sisal was selected as the COVID test center because it has sufficient space for members and guests to wait in comfort and with social distancing measures.

If you are staying at The Royal Haciendas
The antigen nasal swab test will be available at your resort and costs $1,000 pesos, results available within 24 hours.

At the Royal Haciendas the cost of the PCR test is $2,648 pesos and results are ready in 24 hours. Personnel from Laclicsa laboratory will carry out tests at the resort.

All information is subject to change at short notice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom