How many line markers do you carry?

How many of each cave marker do you use?

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • 4-5

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • 6-7

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • 8-10

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • 10+

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlcnuke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I took 4 of each (cookie, arrow, rem) for my apprentice cave course, mainly because I'd seen a shop (UTG iirc) that required at least 3. As I'm making my own custom ones now with my 3d printer, I figured I'd get an idea of how many would be good to have/make by asking you guys how many you use. For now I don't expect to be using any if things go well initially (not yet certified for jumps etc., so shouldn't be using any), but I'd like to be prepared for when I do full cave (and I just got the printer so it's nice to print something useful lol).

For the purposes of the poll, assume "max number" for any one given item you "normally" carry (i.e. if you carry 5 arrows, 6 cookies, and 2 REMs, 6 would be your response). If you carry significantly less or more of one type, please tell me about that reasoning in the comments if you would as I'd love to understand more about the choices.

Thanks for your input :)

Depends on the cave. Five cookies on my lighthead. Surgical tubing in a pocket few arrows and another five cookies.

I carry 1 arrow, and a mountain of cookies.

The quantity is dictated by a couple of things. Team vs. individual cookie, cookies on the primary and all jumps as attendance markers, and marking all T's. How many you need depends on the cave you're in and how complex of a dive you're doing. I've dropped more than a dozen cookies on several dives in the back of Jackson Blue and Hole in the Wall, and if you're on a CCR and/or DPV you can drop that many in Ginnie. Most of the caves in Florida don't require more than 6 though and that's for a very complex dive since they are solution tubes.
Eventually all of mine will be changed out for REM's, but I have too many cookies and I'm cheap, so I won't replace them for a while.

I have one arrow tucked away in my wet notes for emergencies, and usually carry about 8 REMs and a couple of cookies. I use REMs almost 100% exclusively since they're nondirectional to anyone that comes across them but are directional to me. I'll use cookies every once in a while. I'm not a fan of arrows for use other than very rare occassions or emergencies.

If the dive calls for alot of jumps and navigation then I'll double up my REMs

I'm at your level, so I carry three directional and three non-directional, which is what my agency, GUE, says a Cave 1 level diver should have. For Cave 2, they say you should have: "At least 12 line markers; six directional and six non-directional." Just a data point.

Easy to access on my light, 4 cookies and an arrow. I have some REMs, additional cookies, and a spare arrow on a line holder in my pocket.

If I know we will have a lot more navigation, like in Mexico, I pull some cookies or REMs off my pocket line holder and put it on my light

Like for @rddvet REMs have largely replaced arrows for me. I only keep one for a lost buddy search.

I just got my full cave last year, so there is still a lot of time for my number to change as i get more experience. But right now i carry 2 rems for leaving a note in lost/separated buddy scenario or such, 3 arrows that dont get used much because the caves ive dove have permanent line arrows every 100’, and 6-8 cookies so i can mark each navigation choice. The cookies have been the most used in my dives.

I carry 3 arrows because when I'm teaching, I'm required to. I'd probably carry only 1 if I never taught.

I always carry at least a dozen cookies.

I haven't found a use for REM's that I haven't been able to solve with cookies or arrows.

I would recommend 3 arrows and a minimum of 6 cookies, but 8-12 cookies is preferred. A couple of jumps, some Ts, you will be surprised how quickly the cookies get eaten up on a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom