Best for non-diving family but cheaper than Scubaspa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're doing some long range planning and considering a post-Covid-19 lockdown trip to the Maldives. I'm the guy who will dive every dive offered on the boat, my wife will do the ones that don't require getting up early and don't require too much work and we have two teenage daughters who don't dive but love to snorkel. We have done two liveaboard trips in the Anderman Sea on the MV Oktavia in the past and enjoyed our time. The Oktavia had a dedicated 'snorkel guide' who would look after snorkellers while we dived and my girls loved it.

I was (pleasantly) surprised when my wife suggested a liveaboard, rather than a resort in the Maldives, but it needs to be one that does a good job of looking after non-divers. From my research, the obvious fit would be one of the Scubaspa boats, but with the Australian Dollar the way it is, they work out to be pretty expensive, given our trip will probably need to be one December or January. Are there cheaper boats in the Maldives that do a particularly good job of looking after non-divers?

I like the Carpe Diem company boats, they are the Carpe Diem, the Carpe Vita and the Carpe Novo. I'm not sure how they compare in price to Scubaspa and I've only ever had one snorkeler aboard any of the trips, but I've no reason to believe that they would do anything other than a good job.

If they're in the right price range, check with Agnes, the company manager.

Was on a trip on Carpe Vita back in the fall of 2020, North Atol. Enjoyed the trip and fair play to the company for being one of the few operators actually making trips, it was shocking to see the port jam packed with the other big operators boats that had stopped running. Pleasantly surprised at the size of the rooms (had a standard room on bottom deck) compared to other boats I've been on. Crew were great, friendly and very attentive, they made every effort to meet requests made whether regarding diving or other matters. Left me feeling that they went the extra mile despite having number of divers onboard restricted due to CoVid that I guess could only impact their earnings. Plenty of space onboard if you want to find a quiet corner to read a book or relax. Diving from the Dohni's was super simple and comfortable, no hauling gear around as it stays on the Dohni. I see they are still offering some specials into 2021 which are really attractive price wise. All onboard were divers but given the space on the boat i could imagine non-divers could be happy enjoying snorkling/relaxing enjoying the sun. Hope this helps

Just to play devil's advocate, there are resort islands with numerous fantastic dive sites to keep you busy, and Maldives resorts are amazing....

Back
Top Bottom