Nikon Z line up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k954triniz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So holiday season is upon us and all the sales are coming about. Before i pull the trigger and swipe my trusty credit card for a new camera i want to see what you guys and gals think about and experiences on the Nikon Z mirrorless line up.
I used to own a Nikon d7100 that i had setup for underwater photography and also regular surface photography.. unfortunately it was stolen when i was in a car accident and had to go to the hospital. (I suppose it was the tow truck driver or tow yard that they took the car to) car get totaled by a moron running a red light and lose my camera among other items at the same time. Tow yard holds no responsibility are missing items, what a system we have in America.
Well that’s in the past and now ready to spend some money.
Z mirrorless lineup the pros and cons. Availability of underwater housings. I am in no way a professional photographer, just doing this for my enjoyment and nice pics/ videos to stare on facebook and instagram. I’m open for spend a good amount on a setup but don’t want to spend unnecessarily so the z50 to the z7 is in price range. Will i be able to get a housing for a all models or just particular ones. Any feature, hardware or software on any particular model that will make for better content. Just fishing for info, if there is a thread on this please point me towards it. If anyone has any of the Z lineup that has pics or other info that may guide me in the right direction on my purchases please share.
Just a fellow diver who loves his go pro but is ready for a little more.

I just bought a Z 6II and absolutely love it though have only put about 2k shots on it so far. Will put at least that much more on it this weekend. Housing availability is not something I have researched heavily, but I needed the II series to get the vertical grip for shooting sports with long lenses

You can find my z7 on instagram @seasapien. Happy to answer any questions you have. I have had more published and award winning shots using it over the last 18 months than my previous cameras. I use nauticam z7 housing etc. Haven’t used video much yet, but you can shoot 4K raw with it, which is obviously a game changer. I may get the A7S111 to trial before planning to spend 3 months next fall in indo

0D5B920E-97A3-463A-8315-444C281CF785.jpeg
2A4ADCFD-8C2B-4650-A5BE-8D11E6455C2E.jpeg
70F0B11E-B000-4432-BE0F-30E418408B6D.jpeg
5B8873C5-9E2E-466C-91BC-1C4FB899171F.jpeg
49C6D6C7-903E-49A7-BB9B-3669702E081C.jpeg
4C847816-C825-426E-86F9-ED7ECA2C87CD.jpeg
1DC6124A-8F8B-4417-AAFD-752EE704D176.jpeg
A7B7BD0D-2B73-43BD-A4D6-DC7358DA54E2.jpeg
95E1BCDD-0297-44FA-9408-974C2D127E66.jpeg
1787E6BC-344C-4F0C-A4AB-FF52297CA4E2.jpeg

I have met a pro photographer who, before the pandemic used to run a lot of workshops. He does not do underwater photography, but he is on Nikon's list of people who they send cameras and gear to pre-release to do reviews.

His name is Hudson Henry and he has a youtube channel. He has done comparison videos between the Z50, Z6 & Z7 as well as a review of the Z6II. Some of his videos might help you in your decision.

Take a look and see if that helps.

Awesome shots. If only it was as easy as buying a Z7 to be able to take photos like that!

So holiday season is upon us and all the sales are coming about. Before i pull the trigger and swipe my trusty credit card for a new camera i want to see what you guys and gals think about and experiences on the Nikon Z mirrorless line up.
I used to own a Nikon d7100 that i had setup for underwater photography and also regular surface photography.. unfortunately it was stolen when i was in a car accident and had to go to the hospital. (I suppose it was the tow truck driver or tow yard that they took the car to) car get totaled by a moron running a red light and lose my camera among other items at the same time. Tow yard holds no responsibility are missing items, what a system we have in America.
Well that’s in the past and now ready to spend some money.
Z mirrorless lineup the pros and cons. Availability of underwater housings. I am in no way a professional photographer, just doing this for my enjoyment and nice pics/ videos to stare on facebook and instagram. I’m open for spend a good amount on a setup but don’t want to spend unnecessarily so the z50 to the z7 is in price range. Will i be able to get a housing for a all models or just particular ones. Any feature, hardware or software on any particular model that will make for better content. Just fishing for info, if there is a thread on this please point me towards it. If anyone has any of the Z lineup that has pics or other info that may guide me in the right direction on my purchases please share.
Just a fellow diver who loves his go pro but is ready for a little more.

I too am considering upgrading from my D5500 to a Z[X]. I don't think I can justify the cost of the Z7 given how infrequently I take photos. I'm stuck between a used Z6 or the new Z5 at the moment.

I haven't been able to find a housing for the Z5 yet. Ikelite have had this landing page up for a while regarding the Z5 Underwater Housing for Nikon Z5 Mirrorless Camera

Everything I've read about the Z6 is universally positive. Seems like it's one of the best mirrorless cameras out there at the moment.

Full disclosure: I shoot Sony A7r3.

my 2 cents is that Nikon mirrorless offerings are a bit behind Sony and Canon, but Nikon dslr’s are great. You can now get a great deal on a used Nikon dslr setup with the fantastic 105 macro lens and likely sell it with little loss if you decide to go mirrorless in the future.

Beautiful photos to giraffes. I was also looking at the z5 because I’m not pro and do need all that. I like Nikon is the only reason I’m going with Nikon. Never owned any other brands out the the 4 dslr i had. I do want to do short videos. also my family owns a car racing team so i will be using it for that purpose also. I always like to buy the best of the best and that seems to be the z7 II. I have looked at a few of the reviews on them. Nothing on how it is in the water but i suppose now i see people are using it that it and have gotten awards for the content then it much be good.

I just bought a Z 6II and absolutely love it though have only put about 2k shots on it so far. Will put at least that much more on it this weekend. Housing availability is not something I have researched heavily, but I needed the II series to get the vertical grip for shooting sports with long lenses

You can find my z7 on instagram @seasapien. Happy to answer any questions you have. I have had more published and award winning shots using it over the last 18 months than my previous cameras. I use nauticam z7 housing etc. Haven’t used video much yet, but you can shoot 4K raw with it, which is obviously a game changer. I may get the A7S111 to trial before planning to spend 3 months next fall in indo

I have met a pro photographer who, before the pandemic used to run a lot of workshops. He does not do underwater photography, but he is on Nikon's list of people who they send cameras and gear to pre-release to do reviews.

His name is Hudson Henry and he has a youtube channel. He has done comparison videos between the Z50, Z6 & Z7 as well as a review of the Z6II. Some of his videos might help you in your decision.

Take a look and see if that helps.

Awesome shots. If only it was as easy as buying a Z7 to be able to take photos like that!

I too am considering upgrading from my D5500 to a Z[X]. I don't think I can justify the cost of the Z7 given how infrequently I take photos. I'm stuck between a used Z6 or the new Z5 at the moment.

I haven't been able to find a housing for the Z5 yet. Ikelite have had this landing page up for a while regarding the Z5 Underwater Housing for Nikon Z5 Mirrorless Camera

Everything I've read about the Z6 is universally positive. Seems like it's one of the best mirrorless cameras out there at the moment.

Full disclosure: I shoot Sony A7r3.

my 2 cents is that Nikon mirrorless offerings are a bit behind Sony and Canon, but Nikon dslr’s are great. You can now get a great deal on a used Nikon dslr setup with the fantastic 105 macro lens and likely sell it with little loss if you decide to go mirrorless in the future.

Beautiful photos to giraffes. I was also looking at the z5 because I’m not pro and do need all that. I like Nikon is the only reason I’m going with Nikon. Never owned any other brands out the the 4 dslr i had. I do want to do short videos. also my family owns a car racing team so i will be using it for that purpose also. I always like to buy the best of the best and that seems to be the z7 II. I have looked at a few of the reviews on them. Nothing on how it is in the water but i suppose now i see people are using it that it and have gotten awards for the content then it much be good.
"I always like to buy the best of the best and that seems to be the z7 II."

Not necessarily. One of the huge advantages that you might find with the Z6 (or the Z6II) especially underwater is the camera's outstanding performance in low light even when compared to the Z7 or Z7II.

My good friend and photographer Glenn Ostle has been shooting the Nikon Z6 underwater for awhile.

His latest article is here: Scuba Diving St Croix in the Age of COVID

He has embraced a few new Z designed lenses and getting great images with lenses he can also use above water (the Nikon 14-30 especially) which is another advantage.

You can also look over his galleries from Bimini Bahamas and Maldives which were his first two trips with the Nikon Z6.

Feather & Fins / Glenn Ostle

Glenn's images and real world us show that for ILC (interchangeable lens cameras) mirrorless is the way to go in my opinion. I don't own a ILC but for a future Africa trip I'll likely buy one more and it will be a mirrorless camera, in my case Canon RP, R6 or ????

David Haas
Haas Photography Inc.

Back
Top Bottom