Did SE FL get a surge in divers due to pandemic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi. I wondered whether the pandemic-related restrictions and fears making travel to the Caribbean and beyond from the U.S. less practical might drive a surge in dive tourism to U.S. destinations, particularly the Florida Keys.

Earlier in the pandemic, FL got a reputation as a coronavirus hotbed so I thought people might fear to go.

Nowadays, seems like much of the U.S. is a coronavirus hotbed.

So, how's business at Key Largo, Jupiter, West Palm Beach, etc...?

Probably. We went to Singer Island twice last year instead of our usual once a year. All boats were pretty much packed. BHB was as mad as it gets. For our Saturday dive, I had to park at 7/11 again.

Relative to normal volume I don't think so. None of the volumes have seemed to approach a normal year. There have certainly been occasionally busy days but compared to normal the volumes have been down I think. The Christmas Break things seemed pretty busy but not as busy as typical. So far this year the boats do not appear to be overly busy. I've not had a chance to dive yet this year but watching the boats I typically use they all have had plenty of available spots. So anecdotally I would say no.

Stay away.

Its like zombie land down here.

..So, how's business at Key Largo, Jupiter, West Palm Beach, etc...?
I haven't seen the final numbers from the Cline Group yet so my comments are just from the dozen shops that I always talk to in Central and SE Fla. Sales of new Open Water students has been very good, but not beating 2019 numbers. Equipment/gear sales are far short of 2019 and being hit hard by internet pricing competition with free shipping. Those shops that own boats are recovering and weathering covid much better than "non-boat' shops. High margin private lessons and trips have exceeded 2019 numbers ALOT. Freediving sales and training are way up for those scuba shops that offer it too.

These are just what I'm hearing when asking shops how business is and I'm sure individual situations may be VERY VERY different.

The feeling I got from various sources, such as dive club postings, was that the dive boats were full--or as full as they were allowing themselves to be--and BHB was as packed as ever, which is why my wife and I did not venture down there in 2020. Sparsely populated north FL for anti-social diving in the springs/caves is as far from home as I have been willing to venture.

The feeling I got from various sources, such as dive club postings, was that the dive boats were full--or as full as they were allowing themselves to be--and BHB was as packed as ever, which is why my wife and I did not venture down there in 2020. Sparsely populated north FL for anti-social diving in the springs/caves is as far from home as I have been willing to venture.
Being here in the keys with our own boat has been a home run
Where we dive we hardly ever see other divers

Let's take this weekend as an example. Conditions are looking stellar. It's peak shark season. It's a 3-day weekend for many due to MLK Day. It's Thursday afternoon and none of the boats I use regularly are full and that's with somewhat reduced capacity still. That is an important data point for you.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom