1st stage Hose protectors - necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It makes the hose lighter and easier to roll into a loop for storage. Answer: No Benefit for me.

I have used braided hoses on my primary second stage and I think the flexibility translates to some degree of comfort,

I'm a big fan of Alec's. I guess my follow up question would be... should I just go rubber for the SPG hose? Is there even a meaningful benefit for a braided hose with an SPG? I (almost) never dive with the SPG in my mouth so how flexy it is seems less important than for a regulator.
Almost never. Are you a sea lion? :)

I've dived with both rubber and braided on a clipped off SPG. No noticeable difference in the water. Rubber is a few ounces heavier and doesn't wrap quite as nicely in the bag, but those are minor details.

Dupont makes a thin Kevlar reinforced HP hose with a smooth outer layer if you want the luxury option.

Back
Top Bottom