New Teric band - stretchy NATO band

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know why, but they made it as a single pass.... I do like the true NATO, but not sure it makes a significant difference... just me...

The standard Shearwater elastic straps that come with the Perdix or Petrel work great on a Teric. Since I replaced all my Petrel straps with simple bungie cord, I have a lot of these floating around unused. You can also buy them separately from DGX.

They adjust easily for dry suit or wetsuit. I don't usually where my Teric out of the water, so this works great for me. I keep a few Nato bands around in case I want to use it that way on a tropical trip, should that ever be possible again...

Shearwater Elastic Strap Kit | Dive Gear Express®

I never wanted to do that because the Shearwater strap uses a big, bulky plastic buckle. It is subject to breaking. I have also seen that type of buckle come undone when it was unintended. That would be rare and most likely due to not being fastened properly in the first place, but still.

I trust the type of buckle and strap loops that a NATO watch strap has much more.

I don't know why, but they made it as a single pass.... I do like the true NATO, but not sure it makes a significant difference... just me...

I assume you mean the type that has an extra short piece of material with a ring (or two) that the strap goes through after it comes out of the watch pins.

To me, the main advantage that offers is keeping the watch itself from sliding (too far) along the band. It's just a feeling after trying this elastic strap on at home, but it feels like having constant (but fairly light) tension on it, combined with the friction of the material through the pins is going to make that a moot point. It feels like the Teric is not going to move around on the strap in use. However, until I dive it some, I won't know for sure.

I agree, I wish the Pajama Strap was actually a NATO style, opposed to the Zulu (or whatever folks call it) single pass.... IMO, the NATO style gives me the warm n fuzzies in case of a failure, but the single pass does not feel as warm n fuzzy.....

I agree, I wish the Pajama Strap was actually a NATO style, opposed to the Zulu (or whatever folks call it) single pass.... IMO, the NATO style gives me the warm n fuzzies in case of a failure, but the single pass does not feel as warm n fuzzy.....

Why? In case of a failure, it's exactly the same, right? If one pin breaks, the watch is retained. If two pins break, the watch is lost. If the strap buckle breaks and comes apart, the watch is lost.

Why? In case of a failure, it's exactly the same, right? If one pin breaks, the watch is retained. If two pins break, the watch is lost. If the strap buckle breaks and comes apart, the watch is lost.
That’s the bottom line, the only thing a nato (I hate these for the bulk) does it hold the watch/computer in the same place, I assume these are thick enough to prevent that anyway.

It's probably all just in my head.... You're totally right...
(Truth be told, I don't use a NATO strap for my DC, just for my dive watch. I have velcro straps on a 3D Printed adapter for my Galileo.)

I just got new watch straps for my Terics. They're a NATO band, but stretchy.

Pajama Stretch Watch Straps - Black

The Teric uses a 22mm band.

I don't like the stock band because if a strap pin breaks (unlikely though that may be), you lose the computer. They are also not stretchy.

I have been using regular NATO straps, but I started to not like them because they aren't stretchy. In my 3mm wetsuit, the suit compresses enough at depth to let the computer slip down a bit towards my hand and then it will somewhat easily turn on my wrist. If I put it on tight enough to not do that, it's uncomfortable. In a drysuit or even a 5mm wetsuit, this isn't so much of an issue. Or in just a rash guard.

I tried the Narked@90 bungee adapters for the Teric and didn't like them.

Thank you to @RobPNW for turning me onto these. They're plenty long and stretchy enough to use over any of my wetsuits. They might even work over my drysuit, but I haven't tested that yet. And, the end with the buckles is sewn, so I don't think it will just fall apart.

Anyway, I just wanted to spread the good word, in case any of you have felt in the same dilemma I have been in.

I haven't dived with it yet. It could still turn out to be a bust. I'll post an update after I have dived with it.

View attachment 635858

So how well has the Stretchy performed at Depth? Did it truly keep the Teric from moving to much?

I’ve received the orange one, not overly impressed but it is probably functional. It is to short, un streached for dry suit, the nature of these thin floppy straps makes them hard the thread the end through the buckle. I tried it with my thick fleece shirt and my arm in the trilam suit, with the suit material bunching where I needed to thread the buckle was a challenge, it may work better with the neoprene suit.

BUT it does stretch a lot and I was able to put the buckle through the first hole and stretch it over the Rolock ring, it may yet turn out to be ok.

on a side note I looked into returning it, bought through Amazon, not direct, these are not covered by prime so the real disappointing thing is they would take $20 from the refund on the $32 strap for “shipping” so you may as well consider it not returnable.

I probably won’t have a chance to try in on a dive until next week.

Back
Top Bottom