Suit me Up....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep 6 suit as others have mentioned. If you want a hood, just get a separate one
ya after seeing the prices again i almost have too, it's like half of what the aqualungs are going for...
i have the 3mm and the 7mm, have dove the 7mm down to mid 50s with no problem whatsover, would be comfortable taking it down to high 40s, not sure about lower. I will admit it is a beast to get on and off, but that is more a function of 7mm period.

I am more comfortable in a dry suit, but if you are set on a wetsuit it is a good choice.
whats the warmest and coldest temps you've used it in, it'll mostly be for European and pacific diving but would be nice if i can use it at home in south FL too..<TG>

ya after seeing the prices again i almost have too, it's like half of what the aqualungs are going for...

whats the warmest and coldest temps you've used it in, it'll mostly be for European and pacific diving but would be nice if i can use it at home in south FL too..<TG>
Mid 50s is as low as I’ve gone, have done as high as low 70s. Air temp would be the limiting factor, I would not want to wear on the surface if the air temps were 80s or above.

Mid 50s is as low as I’ve gone, have done as high as low 70s. Air temp would be the limiting factor, I would not want to wear on the surface if the air temps were 80s or above.
but i could generally use it in Florida in summer months in-water w/o overheating...and w/o a hood

They are different prices because they are 2 completely different suits. The Deep 6 is just a wetsuit without a hood and the Aqua Lung is a hooded semi dry suit with a drysuit zipper.

They are different prices because they are 2 completely different suits. The Deep 6 is just a wetsuit without a hood and the Aqua Lung is a hooded semi dry suit with a drysuit zipper.
your definitely right but the deep6 7mm does have wrist and ankle seals so it's kinda like a hybrid i guess, do you think the deep6 will be to thick and warm for use in Florida alongside pacific, europe, etc....?<TG>

your definitely right but the deep6 7mm does have wrist and ankle seals so it's kinda like a hybrid i guess, do you think the deep6 will be to thick and warm for use in Florida alongside pacific, europe, etc....?<TG>
I don't know if you will find one thickness that fits all. I have several suits and it just depends on the water temperature. I prefer to be in a thinner suit when I can as it is more comfortable. I have a 3mm, 5mm and a 8/7mm with hood and I also carry a 2mm vest that I can layer with any suit if needed. Local California diving always 8/7mm with hood and for traveling the 3mm or 5mm depending where I'm going.

I don't know if you will find one thickness that fits all. I have several suits and it just depends on the water temperature. I prefer to be in a thinner suit when I can as it is more comfortable. I have a 3mm, 5mm and a 8/7mm with hood and I also carry a 2mm vest that I can layer with any suit if needed. Local California diving always 8/7mm with hood and for traveling the 3mm or 5mm depending where I'm going.
i have dove in Cal, so you use 7mm standard there...?

I use the BARE 8/7mm semi-dry. Awesome suit.
BREVHF.jpg

My local California waters are 48F-54F year-round, air temp 50s winter, 70s and rare low 80s in summer. My first suit was the Aqualun Solafx 8mm/7mm semidry, very similar to the BARE in the post above. It worked well for awhile, but I eventually went for a drysuit. On of my occasional dive buddies dives a Deep6 7mm here (w/ separate hood), and he's happy enough, but personally I think he might go for a drysuit eventually if he starts diving more frequently.

So I think both suits are reasonable in temps in the 50s, long dives in the 40s are pushing it unless you're a superhero. I have no idea if they would be useable in FL winters since I've never been there, but if you ever see people there with a 7mm or 8mm, then it'd probably be OK.

By the way regarding price difference vs Aqualung or BARE semidry, the D6 7mm is a $400 suit. But Deep6 couldn't sell them fast enough so decided to discontinue them, and cut the price down to $225 to clear out inventory. So it's right up in there with the 8mm semidry's in terms of price.

I have a Deep6 3mm and have used it in Bonaire, water temps 77F or so. It kicked ass, I was really happy with it. So happy that I almost bought the 7mm as well. But since I already have a 3mm, an 8mm, and a drysuit, I don't really *need* the 7mm, ended up not splurging for it. I still think about it sometimes, though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom