Suggested operators - Lahaina and / or Kapaa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The family is looking to visit Hawaii in the beginning of June 2021. We will be doing half about 3 days in Lahaina and 4 day in Kapaa. I am starting to look for operators at these locations. Any suggestions / recommendations would be appreciated.

Can only tell you about Kapaa. Kapaa is on the east side of the island - diving is pretty much on the South side in Poipu, about a 35-40 minute easy drive. We dove with Fathom Five Divers in Koloa which is only about 10 minutes from Poipu and the water. You park at their shop and they take you to the boat. A couple of shore dives can be done at Koloa Landing. Fathom Five will guide those also. Well run op, max of 6 divers on boat, and good communication.

Niihau island (17 miles away) is said to be a great place to dive and would take some extra planning on your part. We were there the wrong time of year to take the trip. Find the op with the fast boats and plan for it to take a day if you do it.

You should get some other recommendations from some Kauai folks here on SB.

(Remember offgassing before flying.)

All our diving has been out of Kihei, so no direct experience out of Lahaina. Was about to go with Extended Horizons of Lahaina (because they do a Lana'i trip) when COVID struck Didn't make it, so can't speak to specifics -- but they passed my initial filters and were great to deal with when we had to cancel.

Don't forget Kikiaola Harbor being closest to Niihau and Mana Crack/Na Pali! :wink:

Every shop on Kauai is great, can't go wrong.

Poipu - Seasports, Fathom Five, and Kauai Down Under
Port Allen - Bubbles Below and Garden Isle
Waimea - Explore Kauai Scuba

These are operators with boats, there's a few shore diving companies I didn't list. Everyone gets along here and everyone is safe. I have good things to say about each company, so toss a coin! haha! I would look at what dive sites appeal to you and pick a shop closest to that/those sites. Let me know if you have any questions about dive sites, I know each and every one of them blind folded.

Everyone gets along here and everyone is safe. I have good things to say about each company, so toss a coin!

Just wanted to back that statement up. Although I dove with Fathom Five, the DM told us he worked for another company who's boat we saw when we were out diving. He had nothing bad to say about the other op - only good things. He indicated there was one thing he liked better with FF, but it was just a preference thing for him.

Bump as I’m flying to Maui Friday and staying two weeks.

I'm an operator on Kauai and highly suggest "Dive Maui" www.goscubadivemaui.com, super solid crew! Request Capt James Begeman, he has years of experience in Hawaiian waters and is a whale guru, he'll rock your surface interval! I worked under him on Kona Aggressor and is one of the safest captain I've met. CJ and the rest of the crew will show you Maui underwater better than most. There are a lot of great shops on Maui, but Dive Maui is who I send my customers headed to Maui from Kauai.

Also PM me if you have questions about maui non diving things to do. I've spent a lot of mini vacations over there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom