Indonesia closed for foreigners 01 - 14 January 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I knew that about the flu shots. That is why I do not understand why not the most vulnerable are vaccinated first. By the way. Mortality rate in humans is huge. 1.8 million until now. And still counting more and more daily.
Both arguments has its own merit. You can argue till the cows come home and there won't be a definite answer.
We are lucky that this 'chines wuhan virus" is NOT as deadly as SARS.
SARS, the First Pandemic of the 21st Century

Both of them are corona virus!

Both arguments has its own merit. You can argue till the cows come home and there won't be a definite answer.
We are lucky that this 'chines wuhan virus" is NOT as deadly as SARS.
SARS, the First Pandemic of the 21st Century

Both of them are corona virus!
And so are some of the common colds. Covid-19 is much, far much deadly than SARS. If you look at the number of victims. And it is still going on. Whatver you prefer to name it. Although I think that we should approach it with science and not use it as a political weapon. I keep the discussion on this forum limited to as far it concerns tourism to Indonesia.

And so are some of the common colds. Covid-19 is much, far much deadly than SARS. If you look at the number of victims. And it is still going on. Whatver you prefer to name it. Although I think that we should approach it with science and not use it as a political weapon. I keep the discussion on this forum limited to as far it concerns tourism to Indonesia.
This is the first time that I heard this virus is more deadlier than SARS!
SARS killed about 15% of the infected person!
Political reason? No one has said a word about HK Flu or Spanish Flu.

Maybe you missed this line in my post? If you look at the number of victims.

Viruses are named based on their genetic structure to facilitate the development of diagnostic tests, vaccines and medicines. Virologists and the wider scientific community do this work, so viruses are named by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV).

Diseases are named to enable discussion on disease prevention, spread, transmissibility, severity and treatment. Human disease preparedness and response is WHO’s role, so diseases are officially named by WHO in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD).

ICTV announced “severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)” as the name of the new virus on 11 February 2020. This name was chosen because the virus is genetically related to the coronavirus responsible for the SARS outbreak of 2003. While related, the two viruses are different.

WHO announced “COVID-19” as the name of this new disease on 11 February 2020, following guidelines previously developed with the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).

You do know that the Spanish flu did not originate in Spain, but was named that for political reasons. One of the reasons for NOT naming illnesses for places - like Ebola which was also not the source for the Ebola virus. Time to stop beating this dead horse. It is COVID 19 to the vast majority of the world.

You do know that the Spanish flu did not originate in Spain, but was named that for political reasons. One of the reasons for NOT naming illnesses for places - like Ebola which was also not the source for the Ebola virus. Time to stop beating this dead horse. It is COVID 19 to the vast majority of the world.
How about HK flu?
I and plenty others in HK called that Wuhan Virus long before certain president named it or waited for "who" to name it.
Political? Just like calling a Black guy can be regarded as racist !!

It is not racist to describe someone as black, says John Barnes

How about HK flu?
I and plenty others in HK called that Wuhan Virus long before certain president named it or waited for "who" to name it.
Political? Just like calling a Black guy can be regarded as racist !!

It is not racist to describe someone as black, says John Barnes
This pandemic is a very complicated scientific problem. Would be easier to stick to the scientific definitions. But now we also have the "Brittish Variant" and soon more. Because your mention racism. This is my opinion:
I think there should be total freedom of thinking and speech. Always, everywhere and without restrictions. What is considered an offense is highly cultural. For example look at the use of the words Gay and Idiot. It is in a person’s own control to feel offended or not. It is fully and only the responsibility of the one who feels hurt by words or "funny looks". We cannot keep others responsible if we feel bad because of what they say about our country, grandparents, family, our big nose, skin color, gender, sexual preferences, age, looks, place of birth, neighborhood, education, spouse, car we drive, food we consume or not want to consume, political party we support or religion we think is true. To mention only a few of the sensitive topics now a days. This does not mean that somebody cannot kept responsible for the material losses caused by false information.
A guy shouting FIRE in a crowded building does not cause only a personal feeling of a person to be hurt. Nothing to do with freedom of speech. Lying to gain a profit is fraud. It is an act. Not be excused by the freedom of speech.

This pandemic is a very complicated scientific problem. Would be easier to stick to the scientific definitions. But now we also have the "Brittish Variant" and soon more. Because your mention racism. This is my opinion:
My mentioned on racism, with quote, was the answer to some people who still believe calling this "chinese wuhan virus" is political!!!!
A black guy was offended when being called black but another black guy did not agree. Who is right/wrong?
It is all down to the individual eg HK Flu. Who gave a toss about that in HK!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom