No Drop Bottles for 30M+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I’m aware that you shouldn’t figure in a drop bottle for planning. My point is that in my AOW deep dives there was always one just in case. During these dives I paid close attention to my NoDeco times and especially when it was down to single digits. Never let it get down to below 6 minutes.

Well at 35m depth if you leave with 6 mins to NDL then you are doing safely. My computer changes NDL colour with 4 mins so I usually ascend at 4 mins. You need to learn how understand your air consumption.

never plan on them being there because you have no idea which boats are going to have them, nor if they are in use by someone else when you come back to them.
Agree. I just wanted to know if these guys were ignoring best practices. Sounds like it’s not a “requirement” to have a drop bottle for rec dives at these depths. Maybe it’s just an AOW requirement or maybe it was just how my particular instructor did it. Anyhow it makes me feel more comfortable about diving with these guys again knowing that they didn’t ignore a requirement. Thanks.

Agree. I just wanted to know if these guys were ignoring best practices. Sounds like it’s not a “requirement” to have a drop bottle for rec dives at these depths. Maybe it’s just an AOW requirement or maybe it was just how my particular instructor did it. Anyhow it makes me feel more comfortable about diving with these guys again knowing that they didn’t ignore a requirement. Thanks.

It's not a requirement I have not seen any dive operation in Asia with tanks at the safety stop. Firstly you could get into a current which means you finish the dive where the tank is not. It's not very useful if it isn't where you are :)

I've never seen it as a requirement. Some instructors will put one there when teaching, but not all. I do not.

Well at 35m depth if you leave with 6 mins to NDL then you are doing safely. My computer changes NDL colour with 4 mins so I usually ascend at 4 mins. You need to learn how understand your air consumption.

Nice!

I've never seen a "drop bottle" in person. In Florida, Cozumel, Roatan they aren't used. At least they aren't used for recreational diving (45m and less) in those locations. I thought they were generally only used for planned deco technical dives.

The only drop bottle I’ve ever seen was on someone’s private boat. It was hung at 20ft and it was 100% if needed.

There are instruction instances where a stage bottle is required at the safety stop. In particular if there is a Divemaster Candidate along for the course and they themselves are being graded then they are required to place the bottle there as part of their course.

Screenshot 2021-01-11 095032.jpg

There are instruction instances where a stage bottle is required at the safety stop. In particular if there is a Divemaster Candidate along for the course and they themselves are being graded then they are required to place the bottle there as part of their course.

View attachment 635713

Which agency?

Back
Top Bottom