Wondering where your stuff from overseas is? Shipaggedon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried to use US mail to ship an RMA motherboard to the manufacturer. No problem buying/printing the shipping label. Can't get into a post office to drop the darn box into a bin. Not only is USPS busier than ever, but they're closing early and weren't even open at all this past Saturday (at least the one in my town wasn't). USPS is going to go ahead and hold onto my money for 30-60 days before granting a refund for that label. USPS needs a complete revamp.

On the way home, I stopped into a "shipping source" store and shipped it with FedEX. Yes, it cost about $10 more than USPS first class. No problem getting in the door and dropping off the package.

Also, UPS and FedEX are still delivering on time or better. I just picked up a package from my front door. It was shipped UPS 3 day, 2 days ago.

Sometimes the "savings" of using USPS just isn't worth it.

If only FedEX wasn't picky about the brand of label printer you can use, I would probably not be attempting USPS at all.

I tried to use US mail to ship an RMA motherboard to the manufacturer. No problem buying/printing the shipping label. Can't get into a post office to drop the darn box into a bin. USPS needs a complete revamp.

Meanwhile, UPS and FedEX are still delivering on time or better. I just picked up a package from my front door. It was shipped UPS 3 day, 2 days ago.

Sometimes the "savings" of using USPS just isn't worth it.

USPS has been getting really slammed since UPS/FedEx stopped taking packages from big retailers at least a week ago. USPS can’t refuse to take packages.

USPS has been getting really slammed since UPS/FedEx stopped taking packages from big retailers at least a week ago. USPS can’t refuse to take packages.
I think you've been fed some misinformation.

This was shipped from Walmart via FedEX Home (5 day) on 12/21/2020. Arrived on 12/23/2020. Obviously FedEX is taking packages from some big retailers at least.

Attachments

• fedex label.png
    fedex label.png
    540.6 KB · Views: 48
Should have been SOME big retailers - such as Macy’s

Maersk is now advising 10-14 day wait for a ship to berth (get dockside) in LA/LGB. A customer of mine who lives in the LA area tells me she sees tons of vessels at anchor off the port on her daily commute.

Oakland - that red headed bastard stepchild mess of a port - only has a 1-3 day wait. Oakland is such a hot mess in normal times that one customer has their containers go into LA/LGB and then trucker up to the Oakland area to their warehouse.

East coast is getting bad - 2-4 days wait for NY/NJ. That has cascade effects for the rest of the east coast.

A customer asked to book a shipment leaving right after Christmas with just a week’s notice. Vessels are booked a month out from Asia, not just China. Rates are approximately $3K per 40’ high cube higher than they were a year ago from Asia to the US.

... That has cascade effects for the rest of the east coast.
Both Savannah, GA and Jacksonville are easy at 15-24hrs in and out. 3mths ago I was in >off loaded> and departed in 8hrs in Jax!!!. Also the Panama canal is 24hrs total for a complete traverse in>out. Many ships will make a stop at Jamaica (super cheap fuel spot).

It is now taking less time than going thru all the hassle of LA and the cost of train/truck (& don't even start with all the paperwork excuses they are laying on us to justify being late) If you have Indiana/Michigan customers, Jacksonville is a HUGE car shipping departure point to overseas and the trains are back hauling up to Michigan empty with train prices really cheap. Total time switching from LA and going thru the canal is actually Less time. I'm using a small ocean line - COSTAMARE SHIPPING, but they are really getting it done on the east coast and they are looking to steal customers from the big boys.
PS.......LOL getting boat advice on scubaboard.....

Don’t deal with any car customers. Half stuff from Asia and half stuff from elsewhere.

Stuff has to rail inland quite often, so that has to be taken into consideration.

I took the boat over to the mainland from Catalina the other day for a doctor's appt and was shocked to see so many container ships on anchor outside Long Beach harbor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom