Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathaniel Sweeny

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Weird situation. I am currently a certified diver, but I am paying for two of my friends to be certified. Currently, they are doing their SDI online, classroom, and pool work through an agency where we live in Indiana, however, we plan to go to Florida on February 17th and we are looking to get them their checkout dives in Florida.

The issue is: almost every dive shop wants more money for the checkout dives than what I paid for the entire course for them here, and I paid almost twice for theirs than what it cost when I did mine.

Does anyone know someone willing to do the checkout dives with us or have any thoughts on this? I am not opposed to paying, but over $1,000 seems really high, especially since we already own all the gear we need (although we won't be flying with tanks and weights).

Thoughts?

What is included in those check out dive costs? Boat costs included? There was another thread here that FL charters have gone up in cost due to covid.

where in Fl are you thinking about going? possibly find an independent sdi instructor to do your dives with as a combo instructor and guide. shore dives off the Lauderdale area are fantastic and would keep the cost down. not being on a boat time schedule would also let the chk outs go at a the pace that is needed. Scuba Jenny could possibly help she is a great guide.

What is included in those check out dive costs? Boat costs included? There was another thread here that FL charters have gone up in cost due to covid.
They were both shore dives. I have no problem with giving people some money, but that cost seem really high. Honestly, I am kind of looking for an independent instructor who is looking to do some diving and wanting to make a couple hundred bucks and case of beer.

where in Fl are you thinking about going? possibly find an independent sdi instructor to do your dives with as a combo instructor and guide. shore dives off the Lauderdale area are fantastic and would keep the cost down. not being on a boat time schedule would also let the chk outs go at a pace that is needed. Scuba Jenny could possibly help she is a great guide.
That's what I am looking for, and honestly, I don't even know that they must be SDI. I wanted them to do most of the training through an SDI dive shop that does a really good job, but I don't particularly care where the certification comes from since you can do the checkout dives through some other agencies.

where in Fl are you thinking about going? possibly find an independent sdi instructor to do your dives with as a combo instructor and guide. shore dives off the Lauderdale area are fantastic and would keep the cost down. not being on a boat time schedule would also let the chk outs go at a the pace that is needed. Scuba Jenny could possibly help she is a great guide.
Who is Scuba Jenny?

Edit: I found her and sent a message! Thanks!

maybe do the dives at Devils Den or Blue Grotto in Gainesville - I thought I saw an advert for that. Then drive to keys and dive. About 6 hours or so for some real diving.

For what it is worth, checkout dives in crystal clear spring water that is 70ish degrees was easy for my wife and daughter.

That's what I am looking for, and honestly, I don't even know that they must be SDI. I wanted them to do most of the training through an SDI dive shop that does a really good job, but I don't particularly care where the certification comes from since you can do the checkout dives through some other agencies
suggested an SDI shop because you have already invested money with the online stuff. I do not know if a PADI shop can use that. They will probably want you to do the PADI on line before you come down which now you have paid twice. Jenny can set you up for some great dive on a safe budget she is worth every penny.

Our plan has actually changed due to flight cancellations. We are now heading to Orlando, but we added one more day to the tail end of our trip. Hopefully, it doesn't change again, this Covid thing has the plane nearly empty!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom