Will boat prices go back to pre-covid prices once the pandemic will be over?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a feeling that we will never see the cheaper (sub $100) excursion prices ever again. Once the pandemic will be over, the prices will likely stay the same. To me it seems no business would want to lower prices.

What do you think? No more ~$60 rides ever?

If there is excess capacity and competition I think prices will fall, but not nearly as fast as they rose.

...What do you think?
Just like airlines, I don't think you'll see advertised regular rates lowered. But you will see "Sales" and especially "trip-cards" at a strong discount. I believe shops will survive by encouraging 'loyalty' programs (tank/trip cards) just like airlines. If you have been on boats (or here on SB) there are strong recommendations about the best boats without regard to who's cheapest. The other thing I'm seeing is Dive shops are partnering with local hotels to bring package deals. You dive 3 days with certain boat and stay 2 overnites at partner hotel and the dive shop handles all the financials in a pre-paid package. The hotels are hurting much more than the boats and need "heads in beds" so all the business a boat can give them they will take. Even 1 nighters and especially student group trips.

But to your post,,,,,In the past month there has been a bit of facebook 'discounting' for specific days in my region to fill the boat and it's working because they are sold out in advance on that trip. Those FB prices are at 2018 levels. I've said it before here, I'm more than happy to pay Extra to go to an area and do/see what I want to do(bugs). I drive 2 hrs each way (325 miles total) to the boat and spend 18hrs when I maybe I should be working and making money. The charter dive cost is less than 40% of my expenses that day, so for me it's not the charter price. I just want to go to bug spots.

I know of one operator who has said they will likely keep their current boat capacity and price the same moving forward. There is some value in paying a little extra to have more space on the boat.

Indeed. Personally speaking I'm loving the reduced boat capacity and I'm happy to pay a bit more for it.

we'll see...time will tell,,,tourist will pay the rate...locals will boat dive less.

We have created or borrowed 3 or 4 trillion this last year. Nothing is going back to it's old price.

I'm -planning a trip to Palm Beach area this weekend to dive. With whome are you finding reduced prices? Are you happy with their services?

I'm -planning a trip to Palm Beach area this weekend to dive. With whome are you finding reduced prices? Are you happy with their services?

None that I’ve noticed apart from a few ‘specials’ have reduced prices yet but they are also still running at a reduced capacity. If you want to watch for specials join the boats of interest email distribution lists and follow them on FB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom